Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi problematic satellite connection

DSPatrick
Aspirant

orbi problematic satellite connection

How can I trouble shoot connectivity to satellite or possibly satellite backhaul? I have to reboot orbi devices twice a day. Firmware on all three is now v2.5.1.8

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
DSPatrick
Aspirant

I called into tech support today and got a tier 1 support tech that did not seem to be very familiar with product. Every thing I asked was met with 3 to 5 minutes of on hold while asking someone else or reading something. They don't even ask for anything from the router web pages so I suppose its useless to them as well. They knew of no way to log these connectivity issues and their suggestion was to move them closer or also try a wired back haul. I only have about 10 days left before return windows closes, so the stuff is all boxed up for return tomorrow as this is just unacceptable.

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 27

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

It usually helps to narrow the area of investigation.  What happens twice a day to prompt needing to reboot?  Does this happen reliably a certain number of hours after rebooting?  Is it only devices connected to the satellite that experience the problem?  If not, then the "backhaul" is not likely to be causing the issue. 

Also, it is probably a good idea to identify exactly how the Orbi is connected to the internet (brand and specific model of the modem).

Message 2 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@DSPatrick wrote:

How can I trouble shoot connectivity to satellite or possibly satellite backhaul? I have to reboot orbi devices twice a day. Firmware on all three is now v2.5.1.8

Message 3 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

Connectivity to the satelite device degenerates and eventually drops connection. Problem does not happen on wired devices plugged into router. The system is in AP mode only. Uplink is to an ATT provided device. Distance router to sat device is not more than 25 feet or so.

Message 4 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

This is WiFi connectivity (from what?) to the satellite, not wired connectivity?

Does anything happen to devices that WiFi directly into the router?

Is it necessary to reboot both the satellite and router, or will rebooting only one of them work?

Message 5 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

1. devices like phone / laptop
  2. not that I'm aware of
  3. probably just the satilite but I've no way (to my knowledge) to know what happens during these events
Message 6 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@DSPatrick wrote:
  1. devices like phone / laptop
  2. not that I'm aware of
  3. probably just the satilite but I've no way (to my knowledge) to know what happens during these events

Thanks for the quick response.  Perhaps the next time it happens, you can try restarting only the satellite and see if the connection comes back up for you.  Is it practical to move the satellite a bit farther from the router?  Not so far that the ring light at the top turns orange when the satellite is powered on , but a bit farther away?

Here's what the "ring light" at the top of the case is supposed to do:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Message 7 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, I neglected to ask how the Orbi units are configured.  Do the two satellites each connect directly to the router, or does one of the satellites connect to the other satellite?  The devices that fail are connected to the same satellite, or to both of them?

Message 8 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

The satellites both connect direct to router. The ring color is pulsing magenta when I have problem. Are you thinking it's too close to router? As far as I know the problem is only on one sat device. I thought about swapping them but have not done that yet.

Message 9 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@DSPatrick wrote:

The satellites both connect direct to router. The ring color is pulsing magenta when I have problem. Are you thinking it's too close to router? As far as I know the problem is only on one sat device. I thought about swapping them but have not done that yet.

I personally do not think being "too close" will cause this problem.  (Other issues, yes, but not this.)  When the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, each device gets an IP address from the main router (that includes the Orbi router and both satellites).  Normally, routers give out IP addresses good for 24 hours and devices renew them when half gone.

Is there a way on the AT&T box to "assign" specific IP addresses to each of the three Orbi units?

Message 10 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

Hmm, well that's interesting. The ATT box is on 192.168.1.xxx network and my orbi sat devices are getting addresses from my DHCP server on 192.168.49.xxx network where the lease is 8 days. Of course the router is static, I looked at where I could also set the sat boxes static but did not see an option.

As far as the setup its pretty much OOB with the exception that I have unchecked the DHCP server option.

Message 11 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@DSPatrick wrote:

Hmm, well that's interesting. The ATT box is on 192.168.1.xxx network and my orbi sat devices are getting addresses from my DHCP server on 192.168.49.xxx network where the lease is 8 days. Of course the router is static, I looked at where I could also set the sat boxes static but did not see an option.

WAIT... there is a DHCP server separate from the ATT modem/router?  When in Access Point mode, my understanding is that the Orbi cannot act as a DHCP server.

When your devices receive an IP assignment from the DHCP server, what are the settings for DNS and for Gateway?

Message 12 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

When your devices receive an IP assignment from the DHCP server, what are the settings for DNS and for Gateway?

Gateway = 192.168.49.1 (router address)

DNS = three active directory domain controller addresses

Message 13 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry for being "slow".  I am more confused now.  Which of these things is incorrect?

• The ATT box is a "router" and says that its IP address is 192.168.1.1.
    The ATT box is the DHCP server for the entire network.
  • The ATT box  assigns an IP address of 192.168.49.1 to the Orbi router. 
    This makes no sense.  The Orbi should be assigned an IP address in 192.168.1.x
  • The Orbi is in AP mode. 
    It is set up to get an IP adddress using DHCP from the ATT box.
    It cannot be a "gateway".  The router that the Orbi is attached to must be the gateway.
Message 14 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Sorry for being "slow".  I am more confused now.  Which of these things is incorrect?

• The ATT box is a "router" and says that its IP address is 192.168.1.1. ** correct
    The ATT box is the DHCP server for the entire network. ** not correct
  • The ATT box  assigns an IP address of 192.168.49.1 to the Orbi router. ** yes, ATT box assigns an address in 192.168.1.xxx range

The Orbi is OOB setup except for DHCP server is unchecked and LAN side is 192.168.49.xxx

Message 15 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@DSPatrick wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

• The ATT box is a "router" and says that its IP address is 192.168.1.1. ** correct
    The ATT box is the DHCP server for the entire network. ** not correct
  • The ATT box  assigns an IP address of 192.168.49.1 to the Orbi router. ** yes, ATT box assigns an address in 192.168.1.xxx range

The Orbi is OOB setup except for DHCP server is unchecked and LAN side is 192.168.49.xxx

Thanks.  Clearer in some regards, except, Out of the Box means the Orbi is a router, not an Access Point (AP).  If the Orbi is not acting as a DHCP server, where do devices attached to the Orbi get IP addresses?

Message 16 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Out of the Box means the Orbi is a router, not an Access Point (AP).  If the Orbi is not acting as a DHCP server, where do devices attached to the Orbi get IP addresses?

Yes, I believe that is correct. DHCP role / service runs on Windows Server 2016

Message 17 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there a reason the DHCP server does not assign addresses in 192.168.1.x and have the gateway be the ATT at 182.168.1.1?
Message 18 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry. Got confused reven more (and made typos)

This is too complicated for me.
Message 19 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

Yea, not looking to reinvent the wheel here, was just looking for help with the connectivity problem between router and satellite. If there's no way to log the events or otherwise debug and figure it out then maybe time to box it up for return.

Message 20 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I couldn't help.  I know of no way to log the interaction between router and satellite.

Message 21 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

Seems like junky hardware to me then. I'll box it up for return.

Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a possible faulty system that should be replaced by another to see. 

Message 23 of 27
DSPatrick
Aspirant

I called into tech support today and got a tier 1 support tech that did not seem to be very familiar with product. Every thing I asked was met with 3 to 5 minutes of on hold while asking someone else or reading something. They don't even ask for anything from the router web pages so I suppose its useless to them as well. They knew of no way to log these connectivity issues and their suggestion was to move them closer or also try a wired back haul. I only have about 10 days left before return windows closes, so the stuff is all boxed up for return tomorrow as this is just unacceptable.

Message 24 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

It is a major disappointment when we are unable to help.  So sorry.  Good luck with whichever direction you go.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7