Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi questions

spatel27
Follower

orbi questions

Hey all,

Just set up my Orbi RK13 I believe.   Few questions.

I am paying for 1 gig speed and my wifi speed test is topping off at 450 mhz.  Any ideas?  Is this where it will cap out?

Also I need to set up a desktop for work that requirest fast speeds but it wont be near the main modem or cable box.  No way to direcdtly ethernet-modem connect it either at this time.  I was told when buying the orbi that I could connect it via ethernet to a satellite and I would get the same speeds and connectivity I would get as if it was directly connected via ethernet to the modem.  Any truth to this?  Seems hard to believe with what little I know about wifi and degradation....

Any ideas! Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: orbi questions

RBK13 max 5GHz WiFi link rate is 866Mbps.  Getting 450Mbps over WiFi is considered good already b/c you will unlikely get 866Mbps.  Given it's dual band, you will never see gigabit from the Satellite via Ethernet.  The only way you get gigabit speed from ISP is through the main Orbi via Ethernet.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: orbi questions

@spatel27 wrote:

Hey all,

Just set up my Orbi RK13 I believe.   This part is really critical.  "Part numbers matter."

I was told when buying the orbi that I could connect it via ethernet to a satellite and I would get the same speeds and connectivity I would get as if it was directly connected via ethernet to the modem.  Any truth to this?

Taking a look at the RBK13 Product Data Sheet: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK13.pdf 

It is pretty obvious that the "router" has one WAN ethernet port to connect to the modem and one LAN ethernet port to connect to a computer or a switch.  The satellites have NO ethernet ports.  None.

Thus, it is physically impossible for the satellite to be connected to the router over ethernet.  Cannot be done.  I would not want to say that the person who advised you was misinformed (but, they were).  Most other Orbi packages have satellites where the satellites have LAN ports, but they cost a lot more.

That is not to say that the desktop PC connected over WiFi will have a poor connection to the internet.  How much bandwidth is actually required to do work at home?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7