Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi rbr50 and rbs50, satellite problems

combatpantz
Guide

orbi rbr50 and rbs50, satellite problems

Hi there, 

Sorry if the following does not make sense, this is my first post.

I have a Orbi rbr/rbs50 set up, with the satellite hardwired to the router, which had been working fine untill a couple of days ago when  my wireless system started dropping in and out. This morning the Orbi app on my phone would not connect and i had no wifi.  I rebooted the system and all was working fine again. Then shortly after, the wifi dropped out again ( i noticed the satellites led was always pulsing white and did not stop ) rebooted and dropped out again going in circles, i noticed in the app on my phone that the satellite was showing a red dot next to it sometimes. I disconnected the satellite and the wifi was ok with no more drop outs.

I reconnected the Satellite and tried resyncing. The pulsing white light would not stop and it would only show in the app the network was ok for a short while.

I logged on to my orbi login on my desk top and looked at my attached devices, all looked ok. It showed the satellite (connected via wired ) and all my computers.

I therefore decided to factory reset my satellite and try resync. Now i can not see my satellite on my network and the white pulsing led on the satellite will not stop. Trying to set up the system again and again, the router always connects and shows ok but the satellite never. 

I have however noticed that the satellite in now an attached device instead of a satellite.

I was hoping that somebody out there might be able to fix this, so i do not have to buy a new satellite.

Thanks

Adrian

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
combatpantz
Guide

Re: orbi rbr50 and rbs50, satellite problems

Update

All has been well since my last post, cheers for all the responses.

Adrian

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
combatpantz
Guide

I also forgot to mention that the router and satellite where both in the same room approx 2 meters apart when i tried to resync,

Message 2 of 17
combatpantz
Guide

I also do not know how to reflash firmware of the satellite as it is not showing up as a satellite on the update firmware page.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there a switch in the middle? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Find the IP address for the RBS on the RBRs web page and use this IP address to log into the RBS web page and check the FW version. It should be the same as what the RBR is using. 

Try factory resetting the RBS and this time hit the sync button on the RBR then on the RBS and let the RBS wirelessly sync to the RBR instead of syncing wired. Does the RBS appear correctly as a satellite here? 

Message 4 of 17
combatpantz
Guide

Thank you for the reply.

I have found the IP address via the RBR web page, but can not connect to this page as i get a page saying "can not connect check proxy or firewall" 

I followed some instructions on how to use no proxy and also turned firewall off and still could not connect to the RBS IP page ( with my limited knowledge ).

I then unplugged my LAN cable, did a reset and tried a wireless sync. This did not work still a pulsing white LED and not showing up as a satellite. It has dissapeared from my connected devices as it should since i unplugged it.

I live in Australia , my IPS supplier is Optus , the signal goes through a NBN Arriscm 8200 then Sagamcom gateway F@ST 3864AC NBN then to the RBR. From the RBR it goes though a Netgear ProSafe GS108 to the RBS. This set up has been like this for over a year with no problems till the other morning.

Form the Orbilogin page i do remember pressing the remove this satellite at somepoint during my efforts to get the problem solved hoping that i could get it back by doing a new system set up, which i tried but with no success both via the app on my phone and the orbilogin webpage.

If i had any hair i would be pulling it out, just going round and round in circles getting nowhere fast.

Hope some of this info answers your questions.

Cheers

Adrian

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect a wired PC directly to the RBS and attempt to connect to it's web page there. Use a different browser with out any proxy features enabled on the browser. It should connect to the RBSs web page and show a log in screen. 

Take the RBS from it's remote location and place it near the RBR. Wirelessly sync the RBS to the RBR here. Press the sync button on the RBR first then RBS. This get it connected correctly? 

Your ISP modem has a built in router already. What mode is the modem working in currently? Router or is it bridged? 

@combatpantz wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

I have found the IP address via the RBR web page, but can not connect to this page as i get a page saying "can not connect check proxy or firewall" 

I followed some instructions on how to use no proxy and also turned firewall off and still could not connect to the RBS IP page ( with my limited knowledge ).

I then unplugged my LAN cable, did a reset and tried a wireless sync. This did not work still a pulsing white LED and not showing up as a satellite. It has dissapeared from my connected devices as it should since i unplugged it.

I live in Australia , my IPS supplier is Optus , the signal goes through a NBN Arriscm 8200 then Sagamcom gateway F@ST 3864AC NBN then to the RBR. From the RBR it goes though a Netgear ProSafe GS108 to the RBS. This set up has been like this for over a year with no problems till the other morning.

Form the Orbilogin page i do remember pressing the remove this satellite at somepoint during my efforts to get the problem solved hoping that i could get it back by doing a new system set up, which i tried but with no success both via the app on my phone and the orbilogin webpage.

If i had any hair i would be pulling it out, just going round and round in circles getting nowhere fast.

Hope some of this info answers your questions.

Cheers

Adrian

Message 6 of 17
combatpantz
Guide

Thank you again for the reply.

Just an update on my problem, as i previously told you i could not rectify the problem with any of yesterdays suggestions and the RBS pulsed white all day. I had to reboot my main computer last night and low and behold the RBS stopped pulsing and went blue. yippee.
I checked the set up on both my phone app and the orbilogin on the computer and the system was all ok, the RBS was a satellite and green circles next to RBR and RBS on app. It worked like this for a few hours then i went to bed.

I awoke this morning to see my phone connected to the orbi wirelessly but i could not access the internet ( this was the original problem i had the other day that i have been trying to rectify ). Using the phone app i checked the network and the RBS was connected to the RBR and had a green dot but the RBR had a red dot and said no internet connection.

I went on to my computer and could access the internet. I removed the power to the RBR and powered back up. With the RBR off i could not access the internet via the computer as expected as this goes via the RBR to the web. When the RBR powered back up, i checked the phone app. RBS connected to RBR with green dot, red dot still next to RBR and no internet connection message. I could access the internet again with the computer.

I rebooted the computer again and again the Orbi system is ok on the phone app and on the orbilogin.

As it was working again I checked the firmware and both are up to date V2.5.1.8

I turned the computer off again and whilst it was off the RBR and RBS were working ok, as it should be.

Have you any idea why this might be happening and what might be the solution. I obviously can not reboot the computer every day to get the internet to work. 

I will give you another update tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Adrian

Message 7 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@combatpantz wrote:

Just an update on my problem, as i previously told you i could not rectify the problem with any of yesterdays suggestions and the RBS pulsed white all day. I had to reboot my main computer last night and low and behold the RBS stopped pulsing and went blue. yippee.
I checked the set up on both my phone app and the orbilogin on the computer and the system was all ok, the RBS was a satellite and green circles next to RBR and RBS on app. It worked like this for a few hours then i went to bed.

I awoke this morning to see my phone connected to the orbi wirelessly but i could not access the internet ( this was the original problem i had the other day that i have been trying to rectify ). Using the phone app i checked the network and the RBS was connected to the RBR and had a green dot but the RBR had a red dot and said no internet connection.

I went on to my computer and could access the internet. I removed the power to the RBR and powered back up. With the RBR off i could not access the internet via the computer as expected as this goes via the RBR to the web. When the RBR powered back up, i checked the phone app. RBS connected to RBR with green dot, red dot still next to RBR and no internet connection message. I could access the internet again with the computer.

I rebooted the computer again and again the Orbi system is ok on the phone app and on the orbilogin.

I turned the computer off again and whilst it was off the RBR and RBS were working ok, as it should be.

Have you any idea why this might be happening and what might be the solution. I obviously can not reboot the computer every day to get the internet to work. 

Thanks

Adrian

your firmware is BAD.    Get RID of it.    

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem has a built in router already. What mode is the modem working in currently? Router or is it bridged? 

It would be preferred if it was bridged. 

If it's in router mode, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

When you reboot the RBR, be sure to Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds as well if it doesnt' seem to connect. 

@combatpantz wrote:

Thanks

Adrian

Message 9 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It would be preferred if it was bridged. 

If it's in router mode, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

When you reboot the RBR, be sure to Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds as well if it doesnt' seem to connect. 

@combatpantz wrote:

Thanks

Adrian

another miss....."As it was working again I checked the firmware and both are up to date V2.5.1.8"

Message 10 of 17
combatpantz
Guide

Thanks again for the reply.

Update

The system is up and running all ok this morning and worked fine all day yesterday.

I will check the settings you mentioned.

If it plays up again i will first try going back to the last firmware before V2.5.1.8, as suggested in message 8.

I will update again tomorrow, thanks for all the responses.

cheers

Adrian

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

If you choose to update back to v2.5.1.8, i recommend manually downloading the FW files first, apply the RBS first then the RBR lastly. Factory reset both and setup from scratch. 

@combatpantz wrote:

Thanks again for the reply.

Update

The system is up and running all ok this morning and worked fine all day yesterday.

I will check the settings you mentioned.

If it plays up again i will first try going back to the last firmware before V2.5.1.8, as suggested in message 8.

I will update again tomorrow, thanks for all the responses.

cheers

Adrian

Message 12 of 17
theoak
Luminary

@combatpantz wrote:

Thanks

Adrian

Do you have any sort of static IP set on your computer?  It is almost like it is set to some sort of IP outside of your configuration ... which is then potentially freaking out (for lack of a technical expression) the Orbi.  When you have issues, what are the IP addresses of your devices?  Are they all expected values?

I am really really interested in this outcome.  I just got myself a bunch of CAT6 and have starting crawling under my home in the crawlspace to get my router and satellite connected directly - no switch in the middle.  With all of this stay at home stuff going on - what else am I going to do Smiley Tongue  All the insulation under there though is giving my allergy medicine a good workout.

Message 13 of 17
combatpantz
Guide

Update

The system is still working fine again this morning and worked fine all day yesterday with no drop outs or problems, RBR and RBS showing in app and orbilogin all good.

There is one funky thing happening, i have 3 computers, 2 network players, 3 mobile phones, an Xbox. a couple of tablets and a NAS all hooked up to the router, all are working fine and are all connected to the internet through the wired  network or wifi. When i look at the connected devices on the app or orbilogin it only shows 2 mobiles, a network player and the xbox connected. Before the problem arose the other day they all showed up as connected devices. Not sure why they are not now, as they all are working?

Cheers for the answers.

Adrian

Message 14 of 17
combatpantz
Guide

Update

Still all the same as yesterday, with no problems of connecting to net, RBR or RBS. although still not showing all devices connected but they are.

I did some further diagnosis on my system, and with the limited knowledge i have.

The IP addresses on the computers and are all showing dynamic.

I am showing double NAT, so i will get on to my IPS to try rectify this. (I can not remove Sagamcom gateway F@ST 3864AC NBN as it prvides my home phone through it).  Although i suspect i have had double NAT for years and i have had no problems with the set up till the other day.

Will update again after talking to IPS provider.

Again thanks for the responses.

Cheers

Adrian

Message 15 of 17
combatpantz
Guide

Update

All has been well since my last post, cheers for all the responses.

Adrian

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,

Good Luck. 

@combatpantz wrote:

Update

Still all the same as yesterday, with no problems of connecting to net, RBR or RBS. although still not showing all devices connected but they are.

I did some further diagnosis on my system, and with the limited knowledge i have.

The IP addresses on the computers and are all showing dynamic.

I am showing double NAT, so i will get on to my IPS to try rectify this. (I can not remove Sagamcom gateway F@ST 3864AC NBN as it prvides my home phone through it).  Although i suspect i have had double NAT for years and i have had no problems with the set up till the other day.

Will update again after talking to IPS provider.

Again thanks for the responses.

Cheers

Adrian

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7