Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi setup

Rocard
Aspirant

orbi setup

I have an old Netgear D6300 modem/router and trying to set up a new Orbi RBK50.  I've followed the set up via the app and all good until near the end and it says cables are connected correctly but I have no internet connect.  I've rebooted as it suggests and the ISP doesn't require any special connection.  Any clues about where I may have gone wrong?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rocard wrote:

Yes, yes and 192.168.0.2

Looks like the "modem" is operating as a router and providing "private" IP addresses to things attached to it.  The consensus on this forum is that (a) this can work "mostly", but (b) it's not what most people recommend.  The goal is to have only one device doing Network Address Translation (NAT),  either the modem/router or the Orbi, but not both.

This situation will be cured if the R6300 is removed and the Orbi used in its place, OR (if the R6300 has been removed), there are two options:

1. Either find a way to put the modem/router into "bridge mode", or
  2. Configure the Orbi as an Access Point (AP) and let the existing modem/router handle address assignment.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Mooose
Luminary

Is the modem still handling your Internet connection? (I.e. are you plugging your Orbi into one if the modem LAN ports?) If so, what happens if you plug a computer configured for DHCP inte the same LAN port on the modem? Does it get Internet access, and if so, what IP address does it receive?

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The R6300 has been removed and the Orbi is connected to the modem where the R6300 was connected before?

Sometimes the modem has to be rebooted to recognize that a new router is now attached.  The typical practice is to power off both the modem and Orbi.  Power on the modem and wait for it to sync up.  Then, power on the Orbi.

When the Orbi was set up, did you give it exactly the same WiFi name and password as the R6300 so that all of your WiFi devices can connect automatically without being reconfigured?

Message 3 of 5
Rocard
Aspirant

Yes, yes and 192.168.0.2

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rocard wrote:

Yes, yes and 192.168.0.2

Looks like the "modem" is operating as a router and providing "private" IP addresses to things attached to it.  The consensus on this forum is that (a) this can work "mostly", but (b) it's not what most people recommend.  The goal is to have only one device doing Network Address Translation (NAT),  either the modem/router or the Orbi, but not both.

This situation will be cured if the R6300 is removed and the Orbi used in its place, OR (if the R6300 has been removed), there are two options:

1. Either find a way to put the modem/router into "bridge mode", or
  2. Configure the Orbi as an Access Point (AP) and let the existing modem/router handle address assignment.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7