Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi system melt down RBR50

cornishrex
Aspirant

orbi system melt down RBR50

Please can some-one help me. I’ve had an orbi system for quite some time (over a year), all working fine. I was with BT and I had a modem at my incoming phone socket, linked to my orbi operating as a router. The house is big and the incoming phone socket location is remote. Hence the orbi system.

Ive recently moved to sky broadband, who want me to use a sky q hub router. It doesn’t seem to want to allow me to put it onto an access point only setting. When we first got it a few weeks ago, we just plugged it in, and somehow everything seemed to work ok without changing any of the settings on the orbi. Bu as time went by it became clear that we were getting regular intermittent drops from the orbi and I suspected it was because I had two router operating in DCHP mode.

ive spent the whole of my Sunday trying to get it set up properly. My final attempted solution was to accept that the sky hub router had to rule, and the orbi will have to be put into access point mode. I was hoping to do that and then change the IP address of the sky hub box to the one that my orbi router used to be, to minimise the impact on all the kit around the house which I think may have a variety of static in addresses. But whatever, I’ve done, I Now I seem to have boxed my self into a position where I cannot access the orbi control panel at all. I can’t get in in order to put it into access point mode. My iPad suggests it has a 169 address. But connecting my laptop to the orbi by Ethernet cable and then typing in that address does not get me in. My iPad app can connect to the orbi. It suggests that the IP address of the orbi is 10.0.0.1. But I still cannot get in via the laptop and Ethernet cable using that address either. And the app won’t let me switch it to access point mode.

any idea how I get in? I’ve tried re-booting everything lots of times. And I’ve always switched off all the other kit around the house ....

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 6

@cornishrex wrote:

I was with BT and I had a modem at my incoming phone socket, linked to my orbi operating as a router. The house is big and the incoming phone socket location is remote. Hence the orbi system.

That can't have been a BT modem. That goes out of its way to prevent operation in modem only mode.

What sort of Internet does Sky deliver? DSL?

If so, I'd be tempted to ditch the Sky box and buy a standalone modem. But even there Sky can make it hard for users to connect with third party modems, so check that before you make the plunge.

Mad idea, but do you still have the BT modem? Can you connect with that?

any idea how I get in? I’ve tried re-booting everything lots of times. And I’ve always switched off all the other kit around the house ....

Can you connect to the wifi from the Orbi?

If so, you should be able to determine its IP address and then point your browser at that.

Message 3 of 6
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

If you cannot get to the Orbi router then a factory reset might me required?  Once you do have access then select AP mode and then everything should work as designed?

CheerZ

Message 4 of 6
cornishrex
Aspirant

Thanks to all of the replies above. 

It it was a third party modem I was previously using when I was with BT broadband (I ditched the BT Broadband Hub as it wouldn’t operate in Modem mode). It all worked perfectly for a very long time.  But now that 3rd party modem just won’t work with the signal coming from Sky. I just don’t get it - the only thing that has changed is the boradband provider. I’m getting the same service coming down the same wires. Around 37MB fibre broadband. I’ll take a closer look at your answers above in case it helps me understand why that would be!!! To be honest I’m not an expert on these matters. It takes me about 6 hours to work out what it probably would take 10 minutes for one of you guys to do.

i ended up late last night doing a full factory reset on the Orbi router, which did indeed then let me into it’s control panel and I was able to put it into Access Point mode. Then everything worked - although some of the functions on the orbi iPad app are now greyed our, which I assume is a function of it being in AP mode.

Its not really where I want to be, but i’ll See how the system performs over the coming week and then take a closer look at some of your suggestions below at the weekend in case a change in approach is possible or desirable ....

many thanks again

clare

Message 5 of 6

@cornishrex wrote:

But now that 3rd party modem just won’t work with the signal coming from Sky. I just don’t get it - the only thing that has changed is the boradband provider.

The Internet was once awash with unhappy campers frustrated by Sky's refusal to provide login details that they can use with the hardware of their choice. Seems that they persist in this behaviour.

Remember, if you have old kit that you want to use on a different Internet service it is advisable to reset the hardware to its default factory settings.

Your modem may still remember details from its time on BT.

This might help:

Solved: Re: New D6400 not connecting to Sky Broadband desp... - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: Re: Is it possible to replace the Sky Hub SR102 wi... - NETGEAR Communities

All found here:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – sky login

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7