Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi with RBR20+RBS50+RBS20 poor perfomance

oliveraptor
Tutor

orbi with RBR20+RBS50+RBS20 poor perfomance

Hi,

I'm using an ORBI system as a separate private network for my home/family. i't is conected from its internet port to my LAN. so i create a new network in another range for it.
While i understand i could use the mesh to connect over wifi the router and sattelite, my home is on 3/4 floors and not very wifi signal friendly, i also connected them together trhuo their ethernet port on their LAN.
I was expecting that doing so would offer me 1Gb between the devices (acting like an AP). but it doesn't. I bearly have 40Mb while i could have 400Mb on wifi.
is there a way to configure The satellite to behave so?

thanks for your help.

PS: I have a side question. my kids complain a lot about latency (pings sometimes above the 1000ms). Could it be due to circle being active? because there is very little visibility on what it does on that side.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: orbi with RBR20+RBS50+RBS20 poor perfomance

So all your satellites are hardwired in? 

What switch are they running through? 

Is it going ISP----->RBR20---->switch---->satellites? 

I've seen people try to have the satellites running through the ISP router to connect to the satellites and it cause issues. 

They should be fed from the RBR20. (there can be a switch there but not going through the ISP router)

Did you test the satellites hardwired speeds? I've also seen people testing the satellites and speedtesting over 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is slow and will probably only get you around that 40mbps. 

If you're running more than 2x routers on your system (as you implied with your post) you can have higher latencies as you're in a double nat and have 2x routers doing traffic inspections

Message 2 of 6
oliveraptor
Tutor

yes both are wire. I think i could get back the correct topology on RBR now.

oliveraptor_0-1664459126907.png

where on the image Internet is my LAN ( switch wired to ISP)

I've ISP->SWICH_LAN->ORBI RBR20 -> SWITCH_ORBI with the 2 satelites.

Indeed it's giving double nat. What can i do to avoid it? or to avoid the second inspection on that traffic as it has been inspected already.
Would putting the LAN adress of the orbi RBR20 on DMZ help (on ISP Gateway/Router)?

Any suggestion is warmly welcomed.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

To fix a double nat you have 3 options. 

1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 6
oliveraptor
Tutor

Thanks. Regarding your options:

1. in this case (ISP as bridge and not router), what about the traffic of my LAN switch? will it be handled by the RBR20 (internet port on the LAN) or should I install another router for the LAN traffic ?
2. the data is forwared to DMZ, you mean only the data that is intended for the ORBI LAN and all associated devices? ... such as my kids gaming PC requiring low latency
3. then all devices connected to the ORBI would come into my professional LAN range as it becomes the same network, wich i don't want. Is it then really an option?

Would VLAN help here?
I don't know how you could separate them (2 DHCP servers?) and assign VLAN_ID to some device and some other VLAN_ID to others...

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@oliveraptor wrote:

Thanks. Regarding your options:

1. in this case (ISP as bridge and not router), what about the traffic of my LAN switch? will it be handled by the RBR20 (internet port on the LAN) or should I install another router for the LAN traffic ?---if you have other devices connected to the ISP router, then this isn't a good choice for you. 
2. the data is forwared to DMZ, you mean only the data that is intended for the ORBI LAN and all associated devices? ... such as my kids gaming PC requiring low latency--all data gets forwarded to the orbi, it can still be used on the ISP router but it forwards it all as well. 
3. then all devices connected to the ORBI would come into my professional LAN range as it becomes the same network, wich i don't want. Is it then really an option?---Not sure why you want them on a different subnet. If you're 100% thats how you want them, then it isn't a good option. 

Would VLAN help here?---not how you're meaning. If you're first router was setup for it, you could set the orbi setup in a different vlan. 
I don't know how you could separate them (2 DHCP servers?) and assign VLAN_ID to some device and some other VLAN_ID to others...---vlan starts to get a bit more complicated. If your not familiar with it, you can make things worse 🙂 plus they tend to be for more business oriented stuff. 

Why are you wanting the 2 setups on different subnets? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7