Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi

hrhozy
Follower

orbi

how do i enable remote access to orbi

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: orbi

@hrhozy wrote:

how do i enable remote access to orbi

There are three types of "Remote Administration" for an Orbi system. Each has definite strengths and weaknesses.

• The Orbi smartphone "app" can connect to the Orbi remotely by going through the Netgear "Cloud".
    I find the Orbi app to be like a ditzy blonde.  Pretty, but basically brain dead.  (Not like the blonds I know who are smart and articulate.)
    The app just doesn't do very much.  But, if you want only simple things, it works.
  • The Orbi web interface offers an entirely different Remote Administration on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup.
    It requires that you set up DDNS using one of three services (so that you "know" which IP the Orbi has without manually tracking it.  Would be a bit of a bummer to be away from home and your ISP change the Orbi IP to something you don't know.)
    Setting it up (after the DDNS bit) is simple.
    This also "works" and allows access to the entire Orbi web interface.
    The drawback to Remote Access is that it opens one port to the internet.  The default is 8443, but it doesn't matter because internet trolls are constantly scanning every IP address in the world looking for open ports.  If you chose 8765 or 5678, they would find it eventually.
    What annoyed the heck out of me was that every day or so some (blankety blank dumbell) would try to hack my remote login and fill up the Orbi log with failed attempts.  My Orbi password is 30 characters long with lots of goofy characters, so by trying one login per minute it will take about 4 billion years to break in.  But I hated having the log fill up with trash.
    If you don't care about the Orbi log and have a really good admin password, it works fine.
  • What I did was set up OpenVPN on the Orbi (also using the same DDNS).  For some reason, the log does not fill up with failed VPN connection attempts.
    Setting up OpenVPN is not trivial.  There is a much steeper learning curve than ordinary Remote Admin.
    I have OpenVPN Client software on every laptop, tablet, and smartphone that I own.  So I can be anywhere with internet access and open a VPN connection to my Orbi.  Once connected, I can access any device on the Orbi LAN, including the Orbi itself.
    Works just fine.  It even allows me to access the internet from the Orbi.  This has the effect of encrypting everything I do remotely inside a VPN tunnel (to the Orbi).  Of course, it is "regular" from the Orbi to the internet, but I am more concerned about "sniffing" in random WiFi locations than when connected to my ISP.

So, three methods.  They all work.  If you never carry a laptop, I'd stick with the Orbi App remote admin.  Otherwise, do what you are comfortable with.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7