Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbilogin.com doesn't work in AP mode

mteigers
Aspirant

orbilogin.com doesn't work in AP mode

I'm running into an odd situation after switching to AP Mode where I can no longer access orbilogin.com. What's strange is I cannot find my router at all. I did a quick network scan of every device running on port 80 and the router is not there, I can access my satellite just fine but cannot see the router.

My wifi works great with no issues, I just can't see the router to modify settings.

Any ideas?

Edit: so more oddities, the orbi router has a solid magenta ring, which from the docs 1. should only happen to the satellite and 2. means the satellite cannot talk to the router. I can most definitely reach the satellite and it says it's fine.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11
st_shaw
Master

orbilogin.com definitely works for me in AP mode.

In AP mode the router will turn magenta if it becomes disconnected from the device acting as the router.

To use the router in AP mode, you need to connect the Yellow "Internet" port on the Orbi router to a LAN port on your existing router.  Check the cabling.  If that doesn't work, power-cycle the orbi router and satellite.

Message 2 of 11
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issues except that I'm unable to connect to the internet. The solid magenta ring, no access to orbilogin...

If I hard reset the Orbi unit and try to access orbilogin.com I can only get to the setup wizard which is useless as it keeps telling me I don't have an internet connection. Which I know....I'm trying to change it to an AP...

Soooooo frustrating...

Message 3 of 11
Dan_H
Apprentice

Try using the phone app, it's a terrible app but it will help in that situation.
Message 4 of 11
SDJ
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Dan. The phone app might work if I could get the phone to connect to the Orbi wifi network! But even that isn't working at the moment...

Message 5 of 11
mteigers
Aspirant

Yeah, I'm seeing the same result. The mobile app doesn't work. I'm still in a bad place sadly. I've lost the setup wifi password and cannot connect to the Orbi's at all to see anything. I'm worried if I reset them I won't be able to log in. I know `tuba` was in my password, but don't remember beyond that.

Message 6 of 11
st_shaw
Master

Reset the Orbi using the reset button.  Press and hold for a long time.  This will reset everything to default, including the password.

From the Orbi manual:

"You can return the router or the satellite to its factory settings. Use the end of a paper clip or a similar object to press and hold the Reset button on the back of the router or satellite for at least seven seconds. The router or satellite resets, and returns to the factory settings."

Message 7 of 11
mteigers
Aspirant

But resetting it to the factory settings puts it back to the wifi password it shipped with? If so I don't remember what that was.

Message 8 of 11
st_shaw
Master

@mteigers wrote:

But resetting it to the factory settings puts it back to the wifi password it shipped with? If so I don't remember what that was.

Right.  I'm sure you can figure out the default password by yourself.

Google "orbi default password", or read the Orbi User Manual online, or read the documentation that came with Orbi, etc.

The default WiFi password is even printed right on the Orbi!

Message 9 of 11
mteigers
Aspirant

Right, that was my question. I've accidentally thrown away the plastic sleeve that was on the Orbi that shows the default wifi password. Manuals and Google searches only yield the default password to the orbi itself once you've connected to the wifi network. So I have no way of connecting to the wifi network it creates on first startup. Finding the password to do the setup after connection is easy, in fact it's `admin:password`. 

Message 10 of 11
st_shaw
Master

@mteigers wrote:

Right, that was my question. I've accidentally thrown away the plastic sleeve that was on the Orbi that shows the default wifi password. Manuals and Google searches only yield the default password to the orbi itself once you've connected to the wifi network. So I have no way of connecting to the wifi network it creates on first startup. Finding the password to do the setup after connection is easy, in fact it's `admin:password`. 

I believe the default WiFi password is on the label, which is permanently attached to the Orbi.  Look on the bottom of the device.  You would need to be quite determined to remove that label.

Regardless, even if you have no idea what the WiFi password is, you can always reset Orbi, connect a computer to a LAN port on Orbi, and log into the Orbi setup screen using a browser at http://192.168.1.1 (using default credentials of admin/password) and set the WiFi password to whatever you choose.

So, I don't understand what the problem is here...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7