Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ordbi rbr20

yorkytoo
Aspirant

ordbi rbr20

Need help please

My rrouter/moden is on 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254

My orbi is setting itself to the 192.168.1.1 etc

How can I get both units on to 192.168.0.1 etc and not have any conflicts or subnet problems

Any ehlp much appreciated

David

Model: AirCard 306U (all others)|AirCard® USB 306, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ordbi rbr20

If the Orbi is set to "router", then it will get an address from the modem and will set itself up as the "gateway" between the Orbi network and the outside world.  i.e. It will give out DHCP addresses to all devices connected to the Orbi in the 192.168.1.x network.  This is the way routers work.  HOWEVER, this also means that you have two routers, back to back.  What people call a "double NAT" condition, which is not generally a good thing.

The suggested solutions are:

1. Put the modem into "bridge" or "passthu" mode so that the Orbi gets a public address from the provider and is the only "router".
  2. Put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode, so that the modem/router supplies IP addresses to all devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Orbi is set to "router", then it will get an address from the modem and will set itself up as the "gateway" between the Orbi network and the outside world.  i.e. It will give out DHCP addresses to all devices connected to the Orbi in the 192.168.1.x network.  This is the way routers work.  HOWEVER, this also means that you have two routers, back to back.  What people call a "double NAT" condition, which is not generally a good thing.

The suggested solutions are:

1. Put the modem into "bridge" or "passthu" mode so that the Orbi gets a public address from the provider and is the only "router".
  2. Put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode, so that the modem/router supplies IP addresses to all devices.

Message 2 of 3
yorkytoo
Aspirant

thank  you I knew someone would have a solution

Many thanhs again

Regards

David

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats