Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

pc not connecting to orbi satellite

drdentz
Follower

pc not connecting to orbi satellite

My pc is not connecting to the satellite.  It is instead connecting to the router downstairs, while the satellite is in the same room as my pc.  

Orbi Satellite-1 V2.3.5.26

Any suggetions on how I should be troubleshooting this? 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: pc not connecting to orbi satellite

This is one of the most common questions people ask about Orbi.  The device picks which WiFi access point it will connect to.  One suggestion is to tell the PC to "forget" the Orbi WiFi.  Restart the PC.  Then, search for and join the Orbi network again by selecting it from the list of WiFi networks and entering the password.

An idle question:  do you have "Fast Roaming" set to "on" or "off"?  (On the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings (at the very bottom)

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Can also try turning down the power output of the wifi radio on the RBR as well. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Turning down the radio power might help, the PC will probably still have to at least disconnect from Orbi and reconnect.  Reducing radio power using the Advanced tab appears to cut radio power on both the router and all of the satellites.  (Which means that the total area covered may be reduced.  Not a concern if it still covers everywhere it needs to.) There may be a telnet hack that can manage individual radios.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7