Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: piece of crap?

bjcilley
Aspirant

piece of crap?

On my third complete install trying to get this system working.  The app on my phone has taken away all my wifi options and now won't even let me turn the phone off.  Taking the battery out of the phone now to see if i can salvage it.

App won't let you fine tune the install.  instead insists on a new install each time.

App tells me that no satellites are working, yet i can tell by the signal strength that at least one is.  Friend told me to get the google product.  I had heard good things about Orbi, but so far this has been a waste of time

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
KenEsq
Guide

We've had it a year and it is very unreliable. The WiFi network is more stable than the first six months (It doesn't crash and reboot 25x a day), but the admin app is horrid. 
Just today we paused our son's computer from the app. Then turned it back on...it wouldn't work continued to block internet to the computer. Then it rebooted...still had computer blocked.
Finally, went to the desktop and was able to see the computer still blocked and turned it back on.
So, a simple toggle turned into rebooting the network three times. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using a wire connected PC with the Orbi to set up the system. Thats preferred.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@bjcilley wrote:

On my third complete install trying to get this system working.  The app on my phone has taken away all my wifi options and now won't even let me turn the phone off.  Taking the battery out of the phone now to see if i can salvage it.

App won't let you fine tune the install.  instead insists on a new install each time.

App tells me that no satellites are working, yet i can tell by the signal strength that at least one is.  Friend told me to get the google product.  I had heard good things about Orbi, but so far this has been a waste of time

Message 3 of 9
bjcilley
Aspirant

my PC is three rooms away from the orbi.  Plus i was told that the App was the preferred method

Message 4 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@bjcilley wrote:

my PC is three rooms away from the orbi.  Plus i was told that the App was the preferred method

I'd recommend configuring Orbi using the web GUI rather than the app.  The address is usually http://192.168.1.1 or http://10.0.0.1 or you can use orbilogin.net.

If you cannot wire your PC to the router, you can configure over WiFi.

Message 5 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi bjcilley and KenEsq, 

May we request for the following information: 

- Orbi app version

- Firmware version (router and satellite)

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 9
KenEsq
Guide

Latest App version available in the Play store and the latest firmware  .16 I believe. The app has always been flaky, The only sure way for me to administer the system is through the web site.

Message 7 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

Please check for new Orbi app in PlayStore or App Store.  

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 9
Mabouzek
Initiate

Orbi is piece of junk

I give up. System randomly reboots at keast 10x a day. Have done full reinstall twice. Support horrible. Went and bought an Asus AC 3100 - while I had to spend another 250 dollars, was up in 10 minutes and trouble free. Never again with a Netgear product.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7