Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

poor performance of RBK23 satellites

gx3
Aspirant
Aspirant

poor performance of RBK23 satellites

Just upgraded our internet plan from 250 Mbps to 500 Mbps. Devices connected to the router are getting good speeds.  Devices connected to the RBS (2) have had no improvement in speed. Approx 130-140 Mbps at best, same as before the upgrade. When those devices are moved so they connect to the RBR instead of the RBS , the speed is 400-500+ Mbps. I'm looking for guidance as to what needs attention to try to improve the RBS speed — location, distance, # of devices, or ??? Thanks for any (not too technical) advice.

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: poor performance of RBK23 satellites

Try hardwiring a pc/laptop into the satellite. Then speedtest the device. 

that lets you check the wireless backhaul connection without the fronthaul being a bottleneck. 

If you're still getting the same speed, try moving the satellite around and testing speeds in different locations. It might have something blocking the connection back to the router or causing interference. 

Message 2 of 12
gx3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll give that a try. Thank you.

Message 3 of 12
gx3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did as you suggested and speed is the same on a hardwired laptop. So I tried various locations and had some improvement to approx 250 mbps, although not consistently, in one location. That location is farther away from other electronics that might have been causing interference but also closer to the router, so either one or both may be why the speed is a bit better.  Any other advice to boost performance, or am I expecting too much from the satellites? 

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

What firmware versions are you on? 

What speed do you get hardwired into the router? 

Did you check both satellites? 

Message 5 of 12
gx3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware = v2.7.4.24

Approx 250mpbs when hardwired

Yes, checked both satellites. Tried swapping locations (two-story house so one on each floor), no difference

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

250mbps when hardwired into the router? not the satellite?

Message 7 of 12
gx3
Aspirant
Aspirant

No sorry. 500+ mbps hardwired to the router.

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

So 500mbps at the router, 250mbps at the satellite. 

If you move the satellite within 30ft of the router (and line of sight), what hardwired speed do you get off the satellite? 

Reason I ask is you do loose a bit of speed with the wireless backhaul but distance/obstruction/interference all can change how much speed you lose. So just trying to see what it maxes out at. 

Message 9 of 12
gx3
Aspirant
Aspirant

One satellite  is currently within 20  ft of the router but not line of sight and getting the above noted speeds. Was previously at about 30 ft (also not line of sight) when I first posted and next to TV/stereo equipment, with microwave on the other side of the wall about 10 ft away.  

Message 10 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello gx3,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community,

I understand that you are able to get optimal network speeds when your RBS20 is further away from your RBR20. Place your RBS20 in the desired location then lower the Transmit Power Control to 50%.

Please follow the directions listed below to lower the Transmit Power Control for your RBR20.

Navigate to the following on Orbilogin.com:

• Advanced 
  • Advanced Setup
  • Wireless Settings 
  • Transmit Power Control

Please be sure to change the Transmit Power Control for both the 5GHz and 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi bands. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 11 of 12
gx3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. I lowered the Transmit Power Control as described with minimal effect — +10mbps on the laptop wired to the satellite. Same speeds as before (150-250 mbps) on other devices connecting wirelessly.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7