Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ps4 cannot identify NAT type while on Orbi satellite

FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got the PS working. 

If you choose to add the 2nd RBS, I would disable Daisy Chain first on the RBR. Save settings and let the system reboot. Then add the 2nd RBS like you did with the 1st one. 

Keep in mind 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS(s) to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

@AmtrHomeNetAdm wrote:

I left my RBR plugged in (unintentionally), and removed both RBS's after unplugging them from the wall (these are the power outlet model RBS's). I powered off the PS4 completely.

I then plugged in one RBS and did a factory reset and did the sync on the RBS and the RBR.

And wonders of wonders, the PS4 is working now!! We (may) have seen one glitch (in the past several hours) where the ps4's wifi connection dropped entirely. I'm not sure my son was identifying the situation accurately. So I'm writing this off as an anomaly.

So it's quite clear that I added the RBS's to my RBR incorrectly the first time around. I'll write it off to a rookie mistake.

I've not added the second RBS back to the network yet, nor did I disable Daisy (since my son is finally playing Madden with his friends from the bonus room for the first time in a week). I will try adding the 2nd RBS back in the morning.

The last time I had both RBS's powered on, they were each direct connected to the RBR (even with Daisy enabled). Do you think I need to disable Daisy? The last time I tried Daisy disabled, the PS4 couldn't even connect to the Internet (even though it had an IP and showed that it was connected in the web gui). But this was all before the removal/reset/Sync. I'm not even sure I need the 2nd RBS for our house. I may just keep it in the box as a spare. I can't return it since it all came as a set.

I've followed every other recommendation to the letter (UPnP, no PF, reservered IP for ps4).

I can't thank you both enough for sticking with me through this. My experience on this forum has far surpassed my interactions with Netgear support (who wants me to setup an DMZ).

Message 26 of 43

My son has informed me that the ps4 now no longer identifies the NAT type from the RBS upstairs, nor the RBR downstairs.  He played for hours last night.  I didn't make any changes to anything this morning. Where do I go from here?

Message 27 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the RBR and PS been fully rebooted since then? 

What is the NAT Filter set for on the RBR? If Secure, please set for OPEN and test with the PS and NAT status. 

Message 28 of 43

The NAT filter on the RBR is currently set to Secure.  What are the risks to my private network if I change it to Open?

NOTE that the PS4 is configured to connect to the Guest network (which I keep separated from my private network).

Message 29 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

PS should not be in the guest network. This could a one cause of this problem. 

Please connect the PS to the main wifi network only on the RBR with no Guest network enabled just for mean time. 

Normally for signal game console SECURE works and should not effect anything. OPEN is mostly meant for two or game consoles online at the same time playing same game at the same time. I just wanted to try this out as a trouble shooting test to see if this would help any. It just changed the NAT filter kind to something less restrictive. Called FULL CONE NAT. I have used it for years in this mode, however i have two game consoles. 

Lets leave NAT Filter set to Secure for now and connect the PS to the RBR main wireless or wired network. Reboot the RBR and then connect the PS. Should be status here with no issues. uPnP enabled and no PF configurations.

Then lets see if we can proceed from here. 

Message 30 of 43

I will try your suggestion this evening.  But I thought having a game console on my private network was a big security risk for the other computers on my network?

Message 31 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Its not. Having a game console in the guest network could be since Guest Network which has less controls. 

Message 32 of 43

So everything is working again (for the moment) on the private network.  I will add the second RBS later tonight.  Should I still disable Daisy?

Message 33 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Daisy Chain is needed if one of your Satellites is closer to another Satellite than to the Router. 

If you have such setup then you need to keep Daisy Chain enabled. Otherwise it’s better to disable it. 

When Daisy Chain is enabled each Satellite broadcasts it’s own backhaul radio to allow other Satellites to connect to. This transmission causes interference on the needed Router’s backhaul signal and consumes extra power.

So -if not needed- it’s better to disable Daisy Chain. 

Message 34 of 43

It's very likely I don't need the second RBS for my two story house (which is not that big).  I could disable Daisy and plug the second RBS in an outlet in the master bedroom that's just above the room where the RBR is located.  This would be the one spot where the RBS would be closer to the RBR than the other RBS that's in the second floor hallway.  Would that be worth it or should I just keep the extra RBS in the box?

Message 35 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Use the extra Satellite only if you it will add a value, that is if it extend your wifi coverage, otherwise keep it in the box.

The general rule is that the more elements you have the more distrurbance there will be, since all elements operate on the same frequency.

Message 36 of 43

Forgive my askinig for confirmation of one last detail.  Since I don't think I need the second satellite, I should go ahead and disable Daisy, correct?

Message 37 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@AmtrHomeNetAdm wrote:

Forgive my askinig for confirmation of one last detail.  Since I don't think I need the second satellite, I should go ahead and disable Daisy, correct?

Yes, Daisy Chain is not needed if you have only one Satellite.

Message 38 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Who told you that a gaming console is a security risk and should be put in the guest network? Crazy talk there. Smiley Tongue

As mentioned, you don't need Daisy Chain for 1 satellite. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. <A good rule to keep in mind. So if you have a small size home, then a 2nd RBS may not be needed. The RBR and 1 RBS covers my 5000sq ft two story home just fine. 40 feet in between the RBR and RBS. 

@AmtrHomeNetAdm wrote:

So everything is working again (for the moment) on the private network.  I will add the second RBS later tonight.  Should I still disable Daisy?

Message 39 of 43

Everything is working perfectly with the PS4 after disabling Daisy and allowing everything to reboot.  I've left the 2nd satellite in the box.  I can't see needing it given how well everything is working now.

Thanks so much for all the help.  I really learned alot along the way!!

Message 40 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got all up and running and its working well. 

Be sure to do a backup configuration to file on the RBR for safe keeping. 

Please mark your post thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 41 of 43

Oh don't worry.  I've been creating backups each day after each change.  I do need to flag this last one as the "real fix" config 🙂

Message 42 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

You good. Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements