Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Config sync" loop with firmware V2.3.1.44

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: "Config sync" loop with firmware V2.3.1.44

The config sync issue comes from users separating the Orbi's SSID which users really shouldn't be doing as this seem to cause this side effect. 

I just had a RBK50 system online for over 7 days, both wired and wireless, the RBS did not show a continued Config Sync problem after it was set up. 

Message 26 of 38
MrMediaGuy
Guide

YES! Lesson learned the hard way. DO NOT separate the SSIDs. If you need to have a separate SSID for 5G, then buy a solution other than the Orbi. I resisted going to one SSID but very glad I did. As noted above, the thing that finally convinced me was a problem I didn't even "see" at first, which was HUGE variation in packet round-trips when conneced to the satellite (and router, too, but less so). 

If you're just doing a speed test or downloading files, you won't notice this because when loading a web page or downloading a file, your device can easily reassemble packets out of order. But for things like gaming, audio/videoconferencing, etc., having some packets arrive a second late is deadly. I'd advise ANYONE using separate SSIDs to absolutely check for jitter to see if they have this problem, because it's something that could be really hampering your performance and you might not even realize it.

Message 27 of 38
TuckRanger
Aspirant

Thanks MrMediaGuy, I will switch back to single SSID when I get some spare time and see how it goes, I was having issues with newish Iphones and Ipads switching to 2.4Ghz all the time hence why I went for the separate SSIDs. Incidently I have run the Puma test and there were only a couple of reds.

Message 28 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@TuckRanger wrote:

Thanks MrMediaGuy, I will switch back to single SSID when I get some spare time and see how it goes, I was having issues with newish Iphones and Ipads switching to 2.4Ghz all the time hence why I went for the separate SSIDs. Incidently I have run the Puma test and there were only a couple of reds.

Message 29 of 38
TuckRanger
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38, my setup is RBR50 in AP mode connected to Virgin Super Hub 3 with 1 RBS50 satellite and 3 RBW30 satellites.

Message 30 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Thanks for letting us know. 

@TuckRanger wrote:

Hi Furrye38, my setup is RBR50 in AP mode connected to Virgin Super Hub 3 with 1 RBS50 satellite and 3 RBW30 satellites.

Message 31 of 38
DougB628
Apprentice

I had split my SSID's a few months ago, because I thought my D-Link DCS-2630L cameras, which support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, were having issues losing connections and I thought it might have been caused by the shared SSID's. Based on the results of running that test on my system, and your experience, I decided to try going back to a single SSID last night. It seems my connections to my Apple TV's are more solid now - the speeds are far more consistent, and I don't see as many issues so far.

My cameras still seem to have issues, although I'm willing to try working that out without going back to split SSID's at least for a while. It's only been a day so far, we'll see if one of the most important key metrics, WSF, improves. WSF has been quite low the last couple of months, and I'm getting all the blame. For those that don't know, WSF=Wife Satisfaction Factor...

Message 32 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. I've not had any issues using single SSID and NGs intented design for single SSID on Orbi. Been working well. 

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@DougB628 wrote:

I had split my SSID's a few months ago, because I thought my D-Link DCS-2630L cameras, which support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, were having issues losing connections and I thought it might have been caused by the shared SSID's. Based on the results of running that test on my system, and your experience, I decided to try going back to a single SSID last night. It seems my connections to my Apple TV's are more solid now - the speeds are far more consistent, and I don't see as many issues so far.

My cameras still seem to have issues, although I'm willing to try working that out without going back to split SSID's at least for a while. It's only been a day so far, we'll see if one of the most important key metrics, WSF, improves. WSF has been quite low the last couple of months, and I'm getting all the blame. For those that don't know, WSF=Wife Satisfaction Factor...

Message 33 of 38
TuckRanger
Aspirant

With Thanks to MrMediaGuy and FURRYe38 , I took your advice and went back to a single SSID, everything a lot more stable now and the original problem which lead me down the separate SSID route is also resolved , i.e. my Apple products are reliably connecting with 5Ghz due to a few tweaks I found on another thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-iOS-disconnection-issue/m-p/1708479#M52790)

Message 34 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working better now. Should be good now. Also v48 is available now as well. However run it as is with v44 if it's working well for you. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@TuckRanger wrote:

With Thanks to MrMediaGuy and FURRYe38 , I took your advice and went back to a single SSID, everything a lot more stable now and the original problem which lead me down the separate SSID route is also resolved , i.e. my Apple products are reliably connecting with 5Ghz due to a few tweaks I found on another thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-iOS-disconnection-issue/m-p/1708479#M52790)

Message 35 of 38
DougB628
Apprentice

OK, so I've been running for several days now back on a single SSID. Apple TV connectivity seems improved. Cameras still have lots of issues. But most concerning is that the puma 6 test still shows bad results - see attached file with captured image of web page. This weekend I may try connecting direct to my modem with my laptop, cutting out the Orbi completely to see what the puma 6 test says.

Message 36 of 38
MrMediaGuy
Guide

Yes I'd definitely run the Puma6 test connected directly to your modem over Ethernet and eliminate poor WAN performance before you worry about anything else. If your WAN connection sucks, that's a different conversation.

Regarding your cameras, I looked up the manual for your camera model and unfortunately I don't see a way to "force" it to prefer 2.4Ghz (g/b/n) over 5Ghz (Wireless AC). A few questions:

1. I don't think you ever mentioned, but how did the cameras work when you had split SSIDs? Did you have them forced to the 5G band or the 2.4G band? Were they stable then?
  2. When you look in the Orbi app or the Orbi's browser interface, do the cameras show up as always connected to 5G, 2.4G, or sometimes one and sometimes the other depending on when you look?
  3. In the Orbi browser interface, on the Advanced tab, Advanced Wireless page, what are your settings for Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming? When I had split SSIDs, I played with every combination of these looking for the magic answer, but since going back to one SSID it has seemed to work best to just turn them all on. If you have them all on, you might play with turning off any one of them at a time to see if it makes a difference. Depending on your issue, frankly any of them might help. Some devices don't like Fast Roaming if they're right on the cusp of the 5G band; others don't play well with MU-MIMO, and some don't like Implicit Beamforming. All worth a shot, IMHO.
  4. Have you scanned your environs with a WiFi scanning tool to identify the least crowded channels to use? You might benefit from simply trying different channels for 2.4G and 5G, as your dropouts could be the result of being close to a pesky neighbor with a router that's a little too close to your house.
  5. What's your WiFi transmit power set to? I would try reducing 2.4G and 5G (alternately, not at the same time) to 75%, first one and then the other, to see if it makes a difference. I have a Ring doorbell that wouldn't stop trying to grab 5G even though it was *just* a little too weak to be using that band at its distance. Turning down my 5G forced the Ring to grab 2.4G (which it should have preferred anyway as it will usually be the stronger signal) and it works great. Just be aware that reducing 5G might make your 5G bands too weak in other parts of the house, since they already have a shorter range and than 2.4G. (Additionally, 100% power can sometimes cause contention if your satellites are a little too close to the Orbi base router or to each other.)

Let us know if any of that makes a difference in your WSF!

Message 37 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Run the pingplotter test app. It's more accurate for doing pings and checking latency. Puma test is for only checking cable modems. 

@DougB628 wrote:

OK, so I've been running for several days now back on a single SSID. Apple TV connectivity seems improved. Cameras still have lots of issues. But most concerning is that the puma 6 test still shows bad results - see attached file with captured image of web page. This weekend I may try connecting direct to my modem with my laptop, cutting out the Orbi completely to see what the puma 6 test says.

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7