Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Important Orbi Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR" ... no new firmware available?

sfsdfd
Star

"Important Orbi Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR" ... no new firmware available?

Two days ago, I received an email indicating that a new firmware is available for Orbi. This evening, I had a free moment to attend to it. I didn't click any links in the email message, but just went straight to my Orbi configuration page, and... to my surprise, I was told that my base unit and satellites were all running the latest firmware (2.1.4.16).

I recalled that this firmware came out a while ago, and confirmed as such via the forum thread - apparently it dates back to early June. Also, looking at the email notification again, I see that it doesn't reference a firmware version number, or any reason why this particular notification might be important.

I've thought of four possible explanations:

1) Phishing email, though one that's both pretty convincing (looks official, no typos) and ineffective (no links anywhere phishy).

2) A premature email notification that refers to a new firmware that's not yet been released.

3) A stale email notification that refers to an "important firmware update" that's nearly three months old.

4) A generic email blast to all Orbi firmware owners, educating us about the importance of firmware updates and the availability of the app, and gently nudging us to update or at least check our firmware (though in a kind of deceptive manner).

Which is it?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: "Important Orbi Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR" ... no new firmware available?

Probably something information all rather then new. I get the same emails. 

Always check Ng's support web site down load page for your model Orbi to see whats posted. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7