Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Reverse" Daisy Chain issue - any update?

clammerds
Apprentice

"Reverse" Daisy Chain issue - any update?

Hi,

Having read a lot through this forum about an issue with daisy chain on 2.2.1.210 where the functionality is "reversed" - checked for non daisy chain and unchecked for daisy chain, I wondered if there was an update as to when/if this issue will be fixed?

I'm aware that some have reported that it's not exactly a "reverse" but whatever it is, would be nice to be fixed. This would avoid a lot of setup confusion.

I was previously lucky enough to be testing 2.2.1.204 beta firmware which my router and satellite are still on (they have not auto-updated) and would ideally like my next update to be an update that has this issue fixed. I don't know if the same reverse daisy chain bug is present in 2.2.1.204 but I know if I enable daisy chain, devices are connected to the router/satellite but they are not reported to be connected on the web GUI. For example, logged into the Web GUI connected via cable ethernet and my computer that I was connected on was not shown in the list of devices attached. I'm afraid to update to 2.2.1.210 in case it makes my situation worse than it is. With daisy chain disabled on 2.2.1.204, it seems to be fairly stable although devices don't seem to connect to the satellite much.

Any update on the daisy-chain fix @ChristineT and the Netgear team?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 5
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Adding my voice to this again. After initial download of 2.2.1.210 and discovering this issue, I downloaded it again to no change in this situation. With daisy chain off as default I would think that fixing this issue would be a priority with Netgear considering the effect this may have on new purchases. The installed base is extremely important, but if one's first experience with Orbi is all the negative symptoms coming from poor wireless backhaul, I would guess that anyone who bought a system with more than one satelite would be extremely disappointed. Allowing Daisy Chain on to choose the best topography is fine, and my system chooses a star topography with Daisy Chain enabled. However Daisy Chain off is a mess of poor backhaul and erratic and dropped satelite connection (though the stated topography is still star), which I presume could be a new user's experience once the purchase updated the firmware. It would be nice to get some word on this.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of the issue. NG does post information regarding updates or when the next FW will be available. I presume the fix should be in the very next release. So you'll have to wait for the next update. 

For now, keep Daisy Chain enabled in the routers web page which for this version of FW, is actually Disabled. 

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For now, keep Daisy Chain enabled in the routers web page which for this version of FW, is actually Disabled. 

I don't agree that Daisy Chain Enabled means it's Disabled in 2.2.1.210

In this release like in all other previous releases, you can see that you will get one hidden 5GHz network from each device (Router and all Satellites) when you enable Daisy Chain (to make it possible for satellites to connect to either the router or to each other which is the meaning of the Daisy Chain functionality)

On the other hand when Daisy Chain is Disabled, you will only see one hidden 5GHz network from the Router, so that Satellites will only connect to the Router in a start topography.

So the Daisy Chain functionality is still the same in this release. The fault is something else that causes strange behaviour when Daisy Chain is disabled and that's why it should be avoided in this release.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible, however users are expressing that the behavior is corrected for there problem when Daisy Chain is Enabled in the UI in this version. Will have to see what happens with the next FW update. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7