Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Unknown" Device with no MAC Identifier Connected to AP

la79
Apprentice

"Unknown" Device with no MAC Identifier Connected to AP

Hello, I recently continue to notice an "Unknown" device that is listed under previously connected devices in my Access Control. I looked up the device and it has no manufacturer. The MAC ID begins with A6:40:A0

This device has been under my previously connected items before which is why I changed my password yesterday. Now it is back again. I don't think someone could hack my password that quickly which is why I believe its some device on my network of some sort.

I have checked my log file and don't even see it listed at all which is really not making any sense.

Those anyone have any ideas, advice or any recommendations on how I should go about finding out what it is?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
la79
Apprentice

@la79 wrote:

Hello, I recently continue to notice an "Unknown" device that is listed under previously connected devices in my Access Control. I looked up the device and it has no manufacturer. The MAC ID begins with A6:40:A0

This device has been under my previously connected items before which is why I changed my password yesterday. Now it is back again. I don't think someone could hack my password that quickly which is why I believe its some device on my network of some sort.

I have checked my log file and don't even see it listed at all which is really not making any sense.

Those anyone have any ideas, advice or any recommendations on how I should go about finding out what it is?

Ok, so after doing some more research I've learned that it looks like it is my actual Orbi Router. Some sort of internal MAC ID. I discovered it when ran a Wifi Analyzer and compared the BSSID. Nothing to worry about.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

I would review the MAC IDs of devices in your home including the RBSs. 

Message 2 of 5
la79
Apprentice

@la79 wrote:

Ok, so after doing some more research I've learned that it looks like it is my actual Orbi Router. Some sort of internal MAC ID. I discovered it when ran a Wifi Analyzer and compared the BSSID. Nothing to worry about.

Message 3 of 5
la79
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

I would review the MAC IDs of devices in your home including the RBSs. 

I'm using an Orbi RBR50 with Satellite on firmware 2.3.5.30.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

AH ok. 

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it's nothing nefarious. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7