Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbk22(rbr20 router and rbs20 satellite) to be used as access point

bent57
Tutor

rbk22(rbr20 router and rbs20 satellite) to be used as access point

Hi. I plan to upgrade to wifi6(any brand including orbi6 ). I still want to use my existing router rbk22(rbr20 router and rbs20 satellite). I have 3 questions:

1. If I use rbr20 as access point, will it automatically include rbs20 as satellite? Is there any extra configuration needed?

2. If I use rbr20 as access point, does it need to be wired to the new router permanently? Or can the access point be connected wirelessly from the new router?

3. If I use rbr20 as access point, can I access wifi from both the new router and the access point. Is the wifi SSID name different from each? Can I use the same SSID for both?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: rbk22(rbr20 router and rbs20 satellite) to be used as access point

@bent57 wrote:

Hi. I plan to upgrade to wifi6(any brand including orbi6 ). I still want to use my existing router rbk22(rbr20 router and rbs20 satellite). I have 3 questions:

1. If I use rbr20 as access point, will it automatically include rbs20 as satellite? Is there any extra configuration needed?----if they're already setup and you didn't factory reset, then should auto connect when you switch it to AP mode. If you factory reset it, then you'll need to re-add them as you would a new system. 

2. If I use rbr20 as access point, does it need to be wired to the new router permanently?----yes.  Or can the access point be connected wirelessly from the new router?---No you can't connect it wirelessly to the new router. 

3. If I use rbr20 as access point, can I access wifi from both the new router and the access point. Is the wifi SSID name different from each? Can I use the same SSID for both?----Can you use the same ssid? sure. Will it roam as if it was a single mesh system? No. it won't. They'll roam between that same systems (router/satellites) parts but not between the 2 systems efficiently. I'd recommend using a different ssid and making sure you have the wifi channels separated to prevent interference. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@bent57 wrote:

1. If I use rbr20 as access point, will it automatically include rbs20 as satellite? Is there any extra configuration needed?

Yes, it will.

@bent57 wrote:

2. If I use rbr20 as access point, does it need to be wired to the new router permanently? Or can the access point be connected wirelessly from the new router?

It mustbe connected with an Ethernet cable (i.e. 'wired').

@bent57 wrote:

3. If I use rbr20 as access point, can I access wifi from both the new router and the access point. Is the wifi SSID name different from each? Can I use the same SSID for both?

Yes, both systems can offer WiFi and devices can connect to either, but only to one system at a time.  Whether the SSID/password are the same or different is your choice.  However... they will be two separate WiFi systems, no matter what SSID they broadcast.  Once a device connects to a system, it is likely to 'stick' to that system as long as there is any recognizable WiFi signal.  The 802.11 network standards which allow devices to "roam" between units of a mesh WiFi system do not apply in the case of two separate systems.

For devices which are not mobile (e.g. TV's, speakers, cameras, thermostats, media servers, desktop computers, etc. etc.) roaming is not an issue.  Users will have to be trained and alert to the fact that their phone, tablet, or laptop may suddenly appear sluggish and they need to drop the WiFi connection and reconnect to the other system.

Message 3 of 7
bent57
Tutor

That was fast! Thanks a lot. 👌

Message 4 of 7
bent57
Tutor

Thanks for the confirmation but I still need to ask this for emphasis: So there is no way rbr20 can be used as a wireless repeater?
Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@bent57 wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation but I still need to ask this for emphasis: So there is no way rbr20 can be used as a wireless repeater?

No.  Sorry.  Kind of sad that a $40 WiFi repeater (of any brand) is capable of things that an expensive router isn't.

Message 6 of 7
bent57
Tutor

Got it! Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements