Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbr 50 unable to see the satellite

ikingrma
Aspirant

rbr 50 unable to see the satellite

I have just returned from vacation (up till then all was good).  Now my orbi is totally unable to sync withe satellite.  I have shut down, restarted and gone through pushng syncing buttons and all have failed.  I ran from the ORBI android app with similar failures.  I have moved satellite various distances apart with no luck.  Any suggestions. 

My system is a tp link cable modem, connected to the RBR50 with the latest firmware.   The modem has wifi capabilities and I have tried switching them off and on  with similar results. In addition the overall wifi now seems flaky with numerous reconnections.

This is the Australian NBN  with IINET and the hybrid cable system.

Any ideas on what is going on and how to move forward or test for isues would be appreciated,

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: rbr 50 unable to see the satellite

I would start back from scrach. Reset the route and satellite utilizing the reset botton. Hold for 7-10 seconds and redo the installation manually. Maybe it auto updated improperlywhile you were on vacation. 

Another thing to check was do you have your Orbi setup in AP mode? If you're running a combo device (modem with wifi) you'll either need that device setup in modem only mode/passthrough or the Orbi in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 17
ekhalil
Master

As @plemans explained, you seem to have 2 routers in your network. To confirm this please do the following test:

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8  (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,
Message 3 of 17
ikingrma
Aspirant

I have not made any progress.  I have reset all to factory condition and gone through setup.

I turned off the wifi on the modem and cofirmed that by loggin in.

As suggested I tried tracert and achieved the following

1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms ARCHER_VR1600V [192.168.1.1]
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.20.22.135
4 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 194.35.219.203.in-addr.arpa [203.219.35.194]
5 17 ms 13 ms 16 ms 85.107.219.203.in-addr.arpa [203.219.107.85]
6 10 ms 12 ms 10 ms 125.134.29.203.in-addr.arpa [203.29.134.125]
7 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms 84.149.85.209.in-addr.arpa [209.85.149.84]
8 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 81.247.170.108.in-addr.arpa [108.170.247.81]
9 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 201.37.125.74.in-addr.arpa [74.125.37.201]
10 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa [8.8.8.8]

This appears to be two local ips (am I right?)  If so how can I turn one off or do what I need.  The wifi connectionis so flaky that going onto the orbi site keeps dropping me out for a short time.

One other concern, when I use the ORBI app/android) it seems to want to sync a minimum of 2 satellites and wont let me reduce the number to one.

The cable modem is a tplink VR1600v

Message 4 of 17
ekhalil
Master

From the traceroute printout that you provided, it seems that you have 3 routers in your network, as you can see that the first 3 hops contain private IP addresses.
Can you please explain in detail what equipment you have in your network so we can help you.
Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@ikingrma wrote:

I have just returned from vacation (up till then all was good).  Now my orbi is totally unable to sync withe satellite.  I have shut down, restarted and gone through pushng syncing buttons and all have failed.  I ran from the ORBI android app with similar failures.  I have moved satellite various distances apart with no luck.  Any suggestions. 

My system is a tp link cable modem, connected to the RBR50 with the latest firmware.   The modem has wifi capabilities and I have tried switching them off and on  with similar results. In addition the overall wifi now seems flaky with numerous reconnections.

This is the Australian NBN  with IINET and the hybrid cable system.

Any ideas on what is going on and how to move forward or test for isues would be appreciated,

Message 6 of 17
ikingrma
Aspirant

After much trouble because the connection keeps dropping out.  I was able to follow option 3 abive and reset the router to be AP mode.  I then tried to connect but the network shows no internet connection and the ORBI app says I am being blocked because of no IP.  It appears that I need to sign in to the router but how?

My setup is an ARRIS cable modem connecting to a TPLINK VR 1600v gateway router with wireless then the ORBI.  I need the TPLINK because it has a netphone.

Ay help appreciated.

Message 7 of 17
ekhalil
Master

What is the model of the ARRIS cable modem please? Seems that it’s also a router?
Message 8 of 17
ikingrma
Aspirant

The Arris model is  labelled CM8200B and was supplied by NBN Australia to connect to a coaxial cabel system.  It is then connected with a sigle ethernet outlet to a TP Link VR1600V which acts to provide a wifi router and offers anetphone outlet.  This part of the system works pefectly well to provide internet access.  However I am forced to use the ORBI because this router has a very short range and the signal does not reach the main section of my house,

When I setup without ORBI I have this short range internet access and TRACERT now gives

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192-168-1-1.tpgi.com.au [192.168.1.1]
2 14 ms 14 ms 13 ms 10.20.22-135.tpgi.com.au [10.20.22.135]
3 16 ms 14 ms 13 ms 203-219-35-129.static.tpgi.com.au [203.219.35.129]
4 23 ms 22 ms 22 ms syd-apt-ros-crt2-be-50.tpgi.com.au [203.219.107.81]
5 21 ms 18 ms 15 ms 203.29.134-61.tpgi.com.au [203.29.134.61]
6 22 ms 17 ms 16 ms 209.85.149.84
7 18 ms 56 ms 25 ms 108.170.247.49
8 20 ms 22 ms 22 ms 209.85.248.173
9 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to make sure you have a single NAT condition throughout the system. Possible you still have a double NAT condition. 

You should remove the TP-Link router and connect directly to the ISP modem. As mentioned, please let us know what model # modem the Arris is. 

@ikingrma wrote:

After much trouble because the connection keeps dropping out.  I was able to follow option 3 abive and reset the router to be AP mode.  I then tried to connect but the network shows no internet connection and the ORBI app says I am being blocked because of no IP.  It appears that I need to sign in to the router but how?

My setup is an ARRIS cable modem connecting to a TPLINK VR 1600v gateway router with wireless then the ORBI.  I need the TPLINK because it has a netphone.

Ay help appreciated.

Message 10 of 17
ikingrma
Aspirant

My setup is an ARRIS cable modem cm8200b connecting to a TPLINK VR 1600v gateway router with wireless then the ORBI.  I need the TPLINK because it has a netphone.  When I take away the ORBI and rely on the TPLINK router, the network appears stable.  The problem is then that the TPLINK WiFi is so so weak that I cannot get active internet in the rest of my house.  As a reminder everything (including the ORBI router and satellite) worked fine for over a month.  I powered down the satellite while away for 3 weeks and the troubles started after that.  Initially, I certainly did no active reconfiguration of the ORBI system.  

Finally, is there any way to get into the ORBI configration other than wireless (such as a direct ethernet connection).  When I was trying to reset the ORBI, I had many problems with the flaky wireless so that I had stop and start repeatedly.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

is the Orbi in AP mode while behind the TPLink router? 

Is the WiFi on the TPLink router fully disabled and turned OFF? 

If the TPlink router is needed. Besure to configure the Orbi for AP Mode and ensure that the wifi radios on the TPLink router are fully OFF.

@ikingrma wrote:

My setup is an ARRIS cable modem cm8200b connecting to a TPLINK VR 1600v gateway router with wireless then the ORBI.  I need the TPLINK because it has a netphone.  When I take away the ORBI and rely on the TPLINK router, the network appears stable.  The problem is then that the TPLINK WiFi is so so weak that I cannot get active internet in the rest of my house.  As a reminder everything (including the ORBI router and satellite) worked fine for over a month.  I powered down the satellite while away for 3 weeks and the troubles started after that.  Initially, I certainly did no active reconfiguration of the ORBI system.  

Finally, is there any way to get into the ORBI configration other than wireless (such as a direct ethernet connection).  When I was trying to reset the ORBI, I had many problems with the flaky wireless so that I had stop and start repeatedly.

Message 12 of 17
ekhalil
Master

I would connect the Orbi (in Router Mode) directly to the ARRIS modem and test.
If this works, you can try to connect the TP-Link to the LAN port in Orbi to get the telephony service.
Message 13 of 17
ikingrma
Aspirant

I have gone through all the suggested solutions and had no luck.  The common reaction was for the ORBI network to setup OK (without satellite) but be unstable dropping internet every 5 minutes or so.  I was totally unable to stnc with the satellite fro any setup.  I reset the satellie and started over with no luck.

The present status is that I have taken the Orbi to a computer repair location for them to test.  I await a response from them and will update what I found out. 

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hope it can be figured out. 

@ikingrma wrote:

I have gone through all the suggested solutions and had no luck.  The common reaction was for the ORBI network to setup OK (without satellite) but be unstable dropping internet every 5 minutes or so.  I was totally unable to stnc with the satellite fro any setup.  I reset the satellie and started over with no luck.

The present status is that I have taken the Orbi to a computer repair location for them to test.  I await a response from them and will update what I found out. 

Message 15 of 17
ikingrma
Aspirant

The lates news is that computer shop has found the satellite is defective.  So after 2 and 1/2 years I am faced with buying a new extender system  (NOT HAPPY).  Apparently, you cannot just buy a new satellite.  So my question, does anybody in Australia repair Orbi satellites. 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Id ask the computer shop you took the system to, and see if they know of any company that repairs them. Most likely the RBS would need to be sent back to NG. Might ask them if they have any such services or what they recommend. 

FYI, EX8 and 7 series extenders work on Orbi systems. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7