Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbr20 dropping devices

WeAreDevo
Aspirant

rbr20 dropping devices

About 4-6 weeks ago started having issues with wifi devices -- dropping / disconnecting from wifi, then reconnecting.

I replaced my hub with a switch for the wired devices (playstation, tv cable box, phone box).

Then through my Internet servcie provider did a full diagnostic of modem and cable lines -- all good, and all up to date.

Then, reset router, returned to factory defaults, ensured firmware was up to date, reset to factory defaults again...set channels instead of auto (used the netgear wifi analytics to choose channels)....

wifi signal continues to go down / drop for a minute or two, then reconnect.  The light on top of the Orbi does not change when this happens...

Any suggestions?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: rbr20 dropping devices

A good place to start is to describe:

• Exactly which version of firmware is on the Orbi router and satellites.
    New firmware was released 4-6 weeks ago that appears to have caused problems for many users and has actually been "withdrawn".  If your Orbi is on the 2.5.0.38 or 2.5.0.40 firmware, a lot of people advise to download the 2.3.5.30 firmware and install it manually.
  • Exactly which brand/model of modem is the Orbi attached to.
Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@WeAreDevo wrote:

About 4-6 weeks ago started having issues with wifi devices -- dropping / disconnecting from wifi, then reconnecting.

I replaced my hub with a switch for the wired devices (playstation, tv cable box, phone box).

Then through my Internet servcie provider did a full diagnostic of modem and cable lines -- all good, and all up to date.

Then, reset router, returned to factory defaults, ensured firmware was up to date, reset to factory defaults again...set channels instead of auto (used the netgear wifi analytics to choose channels)....

wifi signal continues to go down / drop for a minute or two, then reconnect.  The light on top of the Orbi does not change when this happens...

Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

more copy paste

Message 4 of 14
WeAreDevo
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi rbr20

firmware V2.3.5.26

modem: technicolor TC4300.E

Message 5 of 14
WeAreDevo
Aspirant

Satelite is about 20 feet from router.

Never have an issue with satelitte not being connected.

Have tried various different chanels. Used the wifi analyzer app to select chanels.

Also tried the following:

"Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)."

Still not working.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Your FW should be ok. Your system does not support v38 or v40. 

Your modem is only a modem which is good. Its a modem only which is recommended. 

Let us know about the other suggestions. Please give feedback. Hopefully something stands out. 

@WeAreDevo wrote:

Netgear Orbi rbr20

firmware V2.3.5.26

modem: technicolor TC4300.E

Message 7 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Looks like your modem (gateway) is a modem/router combo.

FYI....

What is a Gateway? Put simply, a gateway is a device that combines the functions of a modem and a router. A modem is a device that connects to your cable or phone lines and translates the data or information from the Internet to your computer or connected device.

To make this work, you'll have to configure one (Orbi outer or the other modem) as a access point or bridge.  

You might check with your IP and ask if you can run a single regular type modem.  That way the Orbi will behave.

Message 8 of 14
WeAreDevo
Aspirant

My Modem is just a modem, not a modem/router combo.

Message 9 of 14
WeAreDevo
Aspirant

Still having issues...

Have tried all of the above suggestions...nothing working.

Spent 45 minutes on the phone with netgear support...no success...

Manually updated router to V2.3.5.36 (hot fix).

Router firmware updated, but when I tried to upload the firmware update for the satellite it kept giving me a file error message.  I tried with my laptop hardwire to the satellite as well as wireless....

So I wanted to get some more data...so, I opened orbilogin.net on my laptop (Ubuntu). and watched the "Internet Status"  About every 5-10 minutes or so it changes from Good, to no internet for a few seconds, then back to "good".

Watching the "wireless connections available" on devices, the router just "disappears" for a minute or so about every 5-10 minutes or so, then reappears.   But sitting right in front of the router, the lights do not change on it.....And sitting right in front of the modem when this happens, none of those lights change either...

I need to buy a couple more Mesh Network Systems for some income properties....do not think I will be buying Netgear, as this issue is frustrating the heck out of me, and the phone support did not solve the problem....Probably buy the Google system?  Maybe D-Link? 

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on and then factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard? Does the status still fluxuate here after this has been completed? 

Swap LAN cables between the ISP modem and RBR. 

Seems like there maybe a problem with the RBR and the modem. 

IF trhe above failes to resolve this with the RBR, I presume the Orbi system maybe faulty and needs to be replaced or RMAd.

D-Link has COVR systems for there MESH.

@WeAreDevo wrote:

Still having issues...

Have tried all of the above suggestions...nothing working.

Spent 45 minutes on the phone with netgear support...no success...

Manually updated router to V2.3.5.36 (hot fix).

Router firmware updated, but when I tried to upload the firmware update for the satellite it kept giving me a file error message.  I tried with my laptop hardwire to the satellite as well as wireless....

So I wanted to get some more data...so, I opened orbilogin.net on my laptop (Ubuntu). and watched the "Internet Status"  About every 5-10 minutes or so it changes from Good, to no internet for a few seconds, then back to "good".

Watching the "wireless connections available" on devices, the router just "disappears" for a minute or so about every 5-10 minutes or so, then reappears.   But sitting right in front of the router, the lights do not change on it.....And sitting right in front of the modem when this happens, none of those lights change either...

I need to buy a couple more Mesh Network Systems for some income properties....do not think I will be buying Netgear, as this issue is frustrating the heck out of me, and the phone support did not solve the problem....Probably buy the Google system?  Maybe D-Link? 

Message 11 of 14
Dsieber
Aspirant

FWIW if someone else is having this problem - I was having the exact same issues, with the wireless connection just disappearing on a fairly regular basis for 30 seconds or so, and then coming back.

I've manually reverted to firmware 2.3.5.30, and the connection appears to be stable again.

Message 12 of 14
WeAreDevo
Aspirant

Yes.

powered off for 30 seconds to reset.

and did "paper clip" factory reset and setup wizard.

Also tried manually changing firmware to previous version...

Still having issues...

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset after downgradng? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@WeAreDevo wrote:

Yes.

powered off for 30 seconds to reset.

and did "paper clip" factory reset and setup wizard.

Also tried manually changing firmware to previous version...

Still having issues...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7