Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rbr40 dropping internet connectivity

twmd
Aspirant

rbr40 dropping internet connectivity

Hello

The system purchased has one rbr40 main unit and two rbw30 satellites (rbk33 is the system name). I have been having dropped internet connectivity with many different settings since I purchased the units over a year ago. For this debug/discussion, I have removed the satellites. I did a factory reset of the rbr40 and loaded the latest firmware 2.3.5.30. The unit still loses internet connectivity a couple of times a day. It does recover without doing a reboot which wasn't true with earlier versions. This typically takes 5-10 minutes. If I force a reboot to the rbr40 internet is back in about 3-4 minutes. Both wifi and wired lose connection.

I have over 25 units/ip addresses connecting including computers using VPN (not orbi's), wireless speakers and home control modules. 

Can I enable a log feature that captures when the internet is lost? What settings should I try to change? 

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
twmd
Aspirant

I think this issue is related to the noise on the line back to comcast. It has improved since the changes I made.

Thanks for everyones input!

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 20

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

@twmd wrote:

......., wireless speakers and home control modules. 

What type of wireless speakers do you have and how are these attached to Orbi, wired or wireless?

Message 2 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@twmd wrote:

Hello

The system purchased has one rbr40 main unit and two rbw30 satellites (rbk33 is the system name). I have been having dropped internet connectivity with many different settings since I purchased the units over a year ago. For this debug/discussion, I have removed the satellites. I did a factory reset of the rbr40 and loaded the latest firmware 2.3.5.30. The unit still loses internet connectivity a couple of times a day. It does recover without doing a reboot which wasn't true with earlier versions. This typically takes 5-10 minutes. If I force a reboot to the rbr40 internet is back in about 3-4 minutes. Both wifi and wired lose connection.

I have over 25 units/ip addresses connecting including computers using VPN (not orbi's), wireless speakers and home control modules. 

Can I enable a log feature that captures when the internet is lost? What settings should I try to change? 

thanks in advance

Message 3 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

speakers are sonos wired system

Message 4 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

To clarify: I have disconnected the satellites.

this problem occurs even without satellites connected

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

arris SB6183
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

router

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

2500sqft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

n/a

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Auto.  I will try other 2.4g 5g settings

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

a few single family homes

For your remaining questions, can you clarify which might help even though the satellites are disconnected.

I'll try the different 2.4and 5G channels.

thanks,

Tim

Message 5 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@twmd wrote:

speakers are sonos wired system

How many speakers do you have wired?

You should not have more than one mesh speaker wired to a router, otherwise you will have loops. 

Message 6 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

I have one wired and the rest of the sonos speakers connect via the sonos wireless mesh. Your statement contradicts the information shown at sonos

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

can you clarify your comment or site a reference? Maybe I am misunderstanding your point.

Message 7 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

sorry, just re-read your post. correct, i only have one wired. 

thanks

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any of the suggestions help. 

Ensure your getting good internet services from the ISP modem. 

Ensure your using a good quality LAN cable between the ISP modem and Orbi RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 9 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@twmd wrote:

......... The unit still loses internet connectivity a couple of times a day. .......

Does the Router's LED ring turn magenta when this issue happens?

Message 10 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

here are the changes I imade based on the suggestions:

2.4G channel to 1 from auto

Enabled mimo and beamforming.

Wmm was already enabled

Disabled daisy chain

Fast roaming was already unchecked

I did NOT Disable 20/40 coexist. this is needed for my intel stick.

This seems to have helped as I have not been online and had it drop.

Is there a way to know when the cable modem loses internet connectivity?

i.e. enable some verbose log file setting?

I will give an update in a few more days.

thanks

Message 11 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

I will check the led colors on the router at the next drop

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Might check the modem logs when you notice any internet disconnections with the Orbi, the modem maybe loosing access for unknown reasons. Thus Orbi will loose access as well...

Message 13 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

when I reset the router, the problem consistently is resolved.

the drop did just occur, and the problem resolved itself with no resets. this time around it seems it was the external connection to the cable company. picture of cable modem log attached. sorry couldn't figure out how to insert the image.

btw, the cable modem AND router leds all looked normal.

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like this might be a possible problem between the ISP service and the modem then...Something to have your ISP look at the modem logs and review them and the signal when this happens, if again. 

Message 15 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

Yes, having comcast take a look at the Arris/cable modem logs is something I will do. For certain, some of the drops are due to loss of internet connection at the cable modem. Most of the drops that occur do NOT correlate to any issues in the cable modem log file. This seems to point to the orbi router. Rebooting the router fixes the problem.

Message 16 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@twmd wrote:

Yes, having comcast take a look at the Arris/cable modem logs is something I will do. For certain, some of the drops are due to loss of internet connection at the cable modem. Most of the drops that occur do NOT correlate to any issues in the cable modem log file. This seems to point to the orbi router. Rebooting the router fixes the problem.

I think this issue is the problem that appeared in Orbi since 2.3.1.x software related to the ISP Lease renewal times.

Please check your ISP lease renewal time in the Orbi web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> CONNECTION STATUS

Check what it says under Lease Obtained and check what the Lease Expires value is when you get the issue. In my case I see the issue happens when Lease Expires is 0 Days, 0 Hours, 31 Minutes.

The workaround I use in Orbi is to reduce the lease time to less than half of the ISP Lease Obtained value. Please reply with the your values so I can give you the commands to change the value using telnet commands.

Message 17 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

I am still looking into isp/comcast issues. I switched some splitter connections around and things improved. My current thought is that the reset of the orbi fixing issues was more a matter of just waiting for the comcast issue to clear up. I still get many "uncorrectables" in the log for my cable modem. scheduling a comcast visit and will update you.

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure there are not splitters inbetween the ISP modem and ISP service box. These tend to cause noise and signal attenuation as well. Have the ISP check the line from there service box to the modem. Install a dedicated line for your modem. 

@twmd wrote:

I am still looking into isp/comcast issues. I switched some splitter connections around and things improved. My current thought is that the reset of the orbi fixing issues was more a matter of just waiting for the comcast issue to clear up. I still get many "uncorrectables" in the log for my cable modem. scheduling a comcast visit and will update you.

Message 19 of 20
twmd
Aspirant

I think this issue is related to the noise on the line back to comcast. It has improved since the changes I made.

Thanks for everyones input!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7