Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbr50 vpn

datasavant
Aspirant

rbr50 vpn

Trying to configure the router to use vnp, but ADVANCED>ADVANCED SETUP>VPN SERVICE says I am not connected to the network. Rather impossible since I just logged into the router as admin.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: rbr50 vpn

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 7
datasavant
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version
V2.3.1.44

I do not know the isp router info as it is bolted to the wall

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the modem already has a built in router, this would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@datasavant wrote:

Trying to configure the router to use vnp, but ADVANCED>ADVANCED SETUP>VPN SERVICE says I am not connected to the network. Rather impossible since I just logged into the router as admin.

That's a bit wierd! I don't think that Orbi does a check for connectivity when opening the VPN Service setup page.

1. Does the error message appear when opening the page or when trying to activate VPN Services?
  2. Do you have Orbi setup in Router or AP Mode? VPN Service works only when Orbi is in Router Mode.
  3. Do you have a DDNS configured under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Dynamic DNS? For VPN Service to work you have to have a DDNS configured
Message 5 of 7
datasavant
Aspirant

Thanks for the input, but I am deciding to do something else as the ISP will not permit changes to their modem/router

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Will they allow a DMZ setup in there modem? You might ask them this. 

Good Luck. 

@datasavant wrote:

Thanks for the input, but I am deciding to do something else as the ISP will not permit changes to their modem/router

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7