Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbr50v2

AHF
Aspirant
Aspirant

rbr50v2

How can I control access by MAC address?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: rbr50v2

@AHF wrote:

How can I control access by MAC address?

On the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), the Advanced Tab, under Security, select Access Control.

Activate by checking the box.

Then select whether new devices are allowed or blocked.

Then, and this is the important part, when the wife asks, "What's the WiFi password again?"  It's not going to go well for you unless you remember to (a) temporarily turn off Access Control so her new device can connect and get added to the table automatically, or (b) after it fails to get internet access, go into the Orbi and change the status from Blocked to Allowed.

Message 2 of 4

@CrimpOn wrote:

Then, and this is the important part, when the wife asks, "What's the WiFi password again?"  It's not going to go well for you unless you remember to (a) temporarily turn off Access Control so her new device can connect and get added to the table automatically, or (b) after it fails to get internet access, go into the Orbi and change the status from Blocked to Allowed.

There speaks a man from experience!

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, MY experience was more embarassing.  Family came over to visit and wanted to show cute baby pictures on their iPad.  Asked the wife, "what's the WiFi password."  She told them.  An hour later when I came home to stony-faced relatives, "What did you DO to the WiFi?"

So, Access Control is OFF.  If someone can guess (or hack) my 25 character WiFi phrase, it will be "My Bad."

Actually, this brings up an interesting question, "Does Access Control apply to Guest WiFi?"  hmm.  An experiment is in order!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7