Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rbs40 manual firmware update

spacebar
Aspirant

rbs40 manual firmware update

So, I have already contacted Amazon and got a new system coming but in the meantime I wanna see if I can resolve this issue. Like many before me, I am sure, the RBS40 is just flashing a white light then now and then it goes RED, AMBERish, and back to white. I have seen it do GREEN, RED, AMBER and back to white. The system worked as advertised for about two days. Now, the router and satellite are not talking and I can't even see the router. It just won't go into on mode. Keeps staying in the boot mode, I assume. I am thinking it may have something to do with the firmware. It had a firmware update but I didn't get to doing it before it went FUBAR.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do the firmware update manually thru an ethernet cable? straight shot to the satellite? is that even possible?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can download the FW files and if you have the satellite connected to the router base, upgrade that first, then upgrade the router with a LAN cable connected PC. Then I would do a full factory reset on the both router and satellite then setup from scratch.

Heres how I got my friends 50 series up and running:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 2 of 4
spacebar
Aspirant

quick update...

I followed another post in this community. I am a mac user and had to use mac software versions of all the windows software but the solution worked and it seems that the system is working once again as advertised. If it stops working again I will follow these recommendations by FURRYe38 and try that. The ones I followed were by lightmaster https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Solution-to-fix-Orbi-Satellite-flashing-white-forever-failed/m...

I am wondering now if I should contact Amazon and tell them not to send the replacement.

anyway good source of info on this forum

Funny Fact: i was talking to a netgear person on the phone for over an hour trying to resolve this issue not including the hold time. their suggestion was to replace the items

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Well if they shipped it already. Hold on to it for a bit. If your original unit keeps working, then just send the other back. 

Enjoy. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7