Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: remote reboot of orbi systems

JoeHag
Tutor

remote reboot of orbi systems

i have current versions of code on all devices.

I want to reboot the router AND ALL THE SATELLITES remotely (with software). When I connect with a browser - I see no way to reboot anything. If there is, please point me to it. I used the ANDROID app, under the HOME icon and it appears to only reboot the router itself (Orbi base). How do I remotely reboot the satellites (one at a time or all together). The backhaul RBR50 is wired and the RBS40v is wireless.

Also, someone posted a desire to have a scheduled reboot in the software, I would also support that as an option.

thanks,

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Something thats not avaialble on Orbi. 

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JoeHag wrote:

i have current versions of code on all devices.

I want to reboot the router AND ALL THE SATELLITES remotely (with software). When I connect with a browser - I see no way to reboot anything. If there is, please point me to it. I used the ANDROID app, under the HOME icon and it appears to only reboot the router itself (Orbi base). How do I remotely reboot the satellites (one at a time or all together). The backhaul RBR50 is wired and the RBS40v is wireless.

Also, someone posted a desire to have a scheduled reboot in the software, I would also support that as an option.

thanks,

What you want can be done, but it is not simple, quick or convenient.  Orbi units support telnet access (the original Orbi's at least).  So, you could do this:

• Turn on OpenVPN (which is often a challenge) and get it to work reliably with your remote device (laptop, tablet, etc.)
  • When you want to reboot the Orbi units:
  • Connect to the Orbi using OpenVPN
  • Open a telnet app
  • Connect to one of the satellites by IP address
  • Type the command "reboot"
  • Drop the telnet connection
  • Connect to another satellite & repeat
  • Finally, connect to the Orbi router & repeat (which, of course, will break the OpenVPN connection)

My guess is that this is not a solution very many people would embrace.

The second question: "scheduled reboot" can be handled with hardware, i.e. smart plugs.

This article on the web explains how smart plugs can function without internet access:

https://livinghightech.com/smart-plugs-internet-down/ 

I was drawn to this paragraph:

Schedules Created in Device Apps

Schedules created for name brand devices, like Hue WeMo and Kasa will continue to work if the internet goes down. This is because the schedule gets saved to the device (or hub for hue). If the internet is down for too long the devices may lose their time and then the schedule will stop working.

With (for example) three KASA smart plugs, a schedule might be:

On Sunday morning at 1:00am, turn off all of the plugs

On Sunday morning at 1:01am, turn on the router plug

(wait for the router to come up)

On Sunday morning at 1:05am, turn on the satellite plugs

I would start with one KASA plug on one satellite to verify that it actually works.  i.e. if the Smart Plug is connected to the satellite WiFi, when the satellite is shut off, that WiFi connection should go down.  Honestly, I don't know if the Smart Plug will search out a different Orbi or if it will wait for the satellite to reappear.

In my case, this is sort of academic, since my Orbi stays powered up (on UPS) until there is a power outage that lasts longer than 30 minutes.  (Several times for over 4 months.)

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a suggestion as well:

https://www.synaccess-net.com/

These are handly. 

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Success.

I repurposed one of my TP-Link HS-105 smart plugs.  Configured it with the Orbi guest WiFi and set it to turn OFF at 11:59am and turn ON at 12:02pm.  Plugged in a fan.  About 11:55 I disabled the Orbi guest access.  LED on the smart plug went from Blue to Orange (no WiFi) but the fan kept running.  Exactly at 11:59, the fan stopped.  At 12:02, the fan came back on.  That article was correct.  The "schedule' is stored in the plug itself and does not need WiFi or internet connection to work.

Just personally, I see no advantage to power cycling my entire house WiFi.  This experiment as a "proof of concept" was successful.  I have no idea if other brands of smart plugs operate in the same manner, but it would be easy enough to check.

Message 5 of 13
JoeHag
Tutor

thanks - the telnet sounds promising... except I get this...

telnet 192.168.1.2
Connecting To 192.168.1.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

are we not using 23? Any ideas?

thanks!

JOE

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you enable telnet on the RBR and RBS first under IPaddress/debug.htm? 

Message 7 of 13
JoeHag
Tutor

apparently not. Do you mean something like 192.168.1.1/IPaddress/debug.htm ? or is there something in the software config? The first gets me 404 and I can't find anywhere to enable telnet. Can you tell me where this setting is?

thanks

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

telnet is enabled on the Orbi "debug" web page, which is usually at http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm

An alternate URL is http://<IP of router>/debug.htm, which for my Orbi is http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

"Enable Telnet" is toward the bottom of the page.

Message 9 of 13
JoeHag
Tutor

thanks much - that did it for the RBR50 base and satellie. The RBS40V Orbi Voice allows me a debug.htm menu as well - but it is not the same as the RBR50 and TELNET is not an option.

thanks,

JOE

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JoeHag wrote:

thanks much - that did it for the RBR50 base and satellie. The RBS40V Orbi Voice allows me a debug.htm menu as well - but it is not the same as the RBR50 and TELNET is not an option.

Mine is the same. Have NO idea what those Voice debug options relate to.  But, no telnet.  Damn. "My Bad" on that idea.

On the other hand, that TP-Link smart plug keeps turning my fan off and back on every day.  Hasn't missed once.

Message 11 of 13
JoeHag
Tutor

hard power cycle via a home automation device has it's appeal. I see these as 2 separate needs; the occasional remote power cycle (when just cycling the router ALONE doesn't solve the problem; and the need for regular, periodic, hard power cycle. I'm not ready for a 'every night at 2am power outage...but the once in a while need is realistic. I see others also have issues of devices selecting and connecting to a 'sub-optimal' satellite for no apparent reason. Cameras, Amazon DOTs, firesticks, TVs, etc. Easier to reboot 3 satellites than 50 devices. I could go all out and get remote control power distribution unit(s). That might be more realistic if they were together and I could invest in a single, but - by it's nature - my 3 satellites are in 3 separate locations, one of which for astetics I'd rather not have mutiple boxes.

thanks for all your help

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Being remote is frustrating. (I have one Orbi that is 3,000 miles away. So, it remains on firmware 2.3.5.0 until I get vaccinated and "can fly again.")

I'd have to consider which is more tedious (a) Open the VPN, telnet through the VPN, issue the reboot command or (b) use a smartphone app to tell a smart plug to "shut off at x:xx and turn back on at x:xx+1 as a one-time event. Then, go back and delete that schedule.That requires only that the smart plug is active when you want to set up the schedule.  My test plug is doing it daily because I was not careful when I set up the test schedule. (got in a hurry - never a good idea).

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7