Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

reset of RBS50

Pat64
Guide

reset of RBS50

Hello, 

I am facing difficulties to set this external satellite as a repeater

It was previously linked to my RBK50 orbi router and working but I would like to set it as a seperate external satellite repeater directlty connected a different router. I have been trying to reset the unit. but can't get it connected. 

Thanks for your advise 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 12
ekhalil
Master

Re: reset of RBS50

If your question is regarding how to set the RBS50Y as an extender to a non-Orbi router then please follow the steps in the following article:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060131/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Extender-Mode

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model of this "different router"?

Orbi RBS satellites only sync to NG Orbi RBRs. They don't sync to non Orbi wifi routers. NG R or XR series or otherwise. 

Message 3 of 12
Pat64
Guide

thanks, I have been doing that a few times but the light is white and not at all turning bleu. 

I even tried to reset and restart again the process but the unit keeps on flashing white and not turning to bleu. is there any better way to fully reset the unit and retry ?

thanks 

Message 4 of 12
ekhalil
Master

What firmware version do you have on the RBS50Y? I think that the support for extender mode was introduced only lately and is not available on old versions. 

Message 5 of 12
Pat64
Guide

indeed that could be issue ! how can I check update without reconnecting to the orbi router RBS 50 ? is that possible ? or i am forced to replug the router and connect the satellite ? 

thanks so much 

Pat

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can connect a wired PC to the RBSY. Press the reset button in back of the RBSY. Wait about 5 minutes. You should be able to access the RBSYs web page with a web browser at 192.168.1.250. If you can get this, have the RBSY extender mode FW ready to load to the RBSY using it's FW update web page section. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50Y.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.0.46%20(Extender%20Mode...)

Message 7 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can connect a wired PC to the RBSY. .......

There are no Ethernet sockets in the RBS50Y, so you can't have a wired connection with that satellite.

Message 8 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@Pat64 wrote:

.....how can I check update without reconnecting to the orbi router RBS 50 ? is that possible ? or i am forced to replug the router and connect the satellite ? 

I think that your only option is to reconnect the RBS50Y to the ORBI router and do the update of the software.

Good luck.. 🙂

Message 9 of 12
Pat64
Guide

Many thanks, I succeeded to reconnect the RBS50y to the Bsb20 model and checked the firmware and update. However the firmware version 1.0.0.46 for RBS50Y orbi extender mode file available on the Netgear site seems to be corrupted or have a defect. At least it says so after downloading to update the satellite ! So at the moment I have it working only connected directly to the orbi rbr20 routeur. If any j’me have a solution to get the firmware that would be great ! Many thanks to all of you
Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using to send the FW file to the RBSY? Try IE11 or Firefox or Opera. 

Besure you are unpacking the .zip file to reveal the FW file that has to be sent to the RBSY.

Use a different PC or laptop to get the FW file downloaded if needed. 

What version of FW is on the RBSY currently? 

@Pat64 wrote:
Many thanks, I succeeded to reconnect the RBS50y to the Bsb20 model and checked the firmware and update. However the firmware version 1.0.0.46 for RBS50Y orbi extender mode file available on the Netgear site seems to be corrupted or have a defect. At least it says so after downloading to update the satellite ! So at the moment I have it working only connected directly to the orbi rbr20 routeur. If any j’me have a solution to get the firmware that would be great ! Many thanks to all of you

Message 11 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@Pat64 wrote:
..........However the firmware version 1.0.0.46 for RBS50Y orbi extender mode file available on the Netgear site seems to be corrupted or have a defect. ....

Have you used the unzipped file RBS50Y-EXT-V1.0.0.46.img to manually upgrade the RBS50Y?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7