Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ring doorbell 2 hasn't been able to connect in months RBR50 and 2 satellites

wegunterjr
Guide

ring doorbell 2 hasn't been able to connect in months RBR50 and 2 satellites

Hardware Version    RBR50   Firmware Version    V2.3.1.60

When i first got the ring doorbell 2 it was able to connect to my orbi network. Since some update in January/February it has not been able to connect.    A little frustrated.

I actually find that a lot of my IoT devices do not work well with Orbi.

Any thoughts?

I have verified I am not on channel 13 or anything strange.   

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
ekhalil
Master

Re: ring doorbell 2 hasn't been able to connect in months RBR50 and 2 satellites

This can either be a radio issue or an IP network issue:

1. I think that the Ring Dorrbell 2 uses only 2.4 GHz radio. What 2.4 GHz channel are you using in Orbi?
  2. Is Orbi working in Router or AP Mode? What type of ISP modem/Router are you using?
Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Do a full factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch.

@wegunterjr wrote:

Hardware Version    RBR50   Firmware Version    V2.3.1.60

When i first got the ring doorbell 2 it was able to connect to my orbi network. Since some update in January/February it has not been able to connect.    A little frustrated.

I actually find that a lot of my IoT devices do not work well with Orbi.

Any thoughts?

I have verified I am not on channel 13 or anything strange.   

Message 3 of 16
wegunterjr
Guide

I am using RBR50,: so it has the main router and two satellites. The channel is 5 for 2.4GHZ.
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz

Message 5 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@wegunterjr wrote:
I am using RBR50,: so it has the main router and two satellites. The channel is 5 for 2.4GHZ.

It can be that you have interference from your neigbours on this channel. Please try choosing another channel.

If you have the possibility, then please make a wifi scan and see which channels are being used by your neigbours and select the least used channel.

Aprart from the Ring Doorbell v2, what other devices do you have connection issues with?

Message 6 of 16
wegunterjr
Guide

Yeah, I did the wifi scan and that's how I landed on 5. Not too crowded out there and my satellites are within 30 feet of each other.
My ring doorbell no longer connects... Seems strange.
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz

Message 8 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@wegunterjr wrote:
Yeah, I did the wifi scan and that's how I landed on 5. Not too crowded out there and my satellites are within 30 feet of each other.
My ring doorbell no longer connects... Seems strange.

Channel 5 is usually not the best choice since it's overlpping with other channels. The best -non-overlapping- 2.4 GHz channels are 1, 6 and 11.

Your issue can also be not related to radio. It can also be IP related. Can you please decribe when in the attach procedure do you see the issue?

It's also good to know information about your ISP modem/router.

Message 9 of 16
wegunterjr
Guide

I'll try an different channel, but not sure about your question on the ISP modem/router? The base is connected to my modem directly.
Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious to know what the Manufacture and model# of the ISP modem is. Checking for built in wifi and router here is all. 

@wegunterjr wrote:
I'll try an different channel, but not sure about your question on the ISP modem/router? The base is connected to my modem directly.

Message 11 of 16
wegunterjr
Guide

Ah.. Got ya. It is a fiber modem. So my orbi connects to it, gets an IP address from the ISP and is the only wifi access point.
Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just making sure. 

Message 13 of 16
wegunterjr
Guide

Okay - here is my current status.

-IPV6 disabled

-WMM enabled 

-2.4, 5GHZ both enabled (Ring connects to the 2.4GHz)

-Daisy-Chain - it was disabled earlier, and i enabled it to test - so right now, enabled.

-Beamforming enabled

-Mu-MIMO enable

-Fast Roaming - disabled

I have my two satellites within 30 feet of the base, but they are in different locations.

I use one satellite to connect to a switch that connects to a variety of ethernet devices.  Very nice feature.

Still unable to connect.

The Ring app says it finds the wifi SSID i chose, and then once I say good to go, the ring starts spinning blue (which means it is trying to connect to the WIFi i chose, but then it fails and says cannot connect. ) I have had this exact ring device, including it's door bell, oh and an august device - none of them now connect since end of Jan/Feb.

Message 14 of 16
Shadowchasr
Initiate

Turn off WMM.

WMM breaks lots of IoT devices.

I don't know the 'why' behind it.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast temporarily and see if the door bell can connect then.

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@wegunterjr wrote:

Okay - here is my current status.

-IPV6 disabled

-WMM enabled 

-2.4, 5GHZ both enabled (Ring connects to the 2.4GHz)

-Daisy-Chain - it was disabled earlier, and i enabled it to test - so right now, enabled.

-Beamforming enabled

-Mu-MIMO enable

-Fast Roaming - disabled

I have my two satellites within 30 feet of the base, but they are in different locations.

I use one satellite to connect to a switch that connects to a variety of ethernet devices.  Very nice feature.

Still unable to connect.

The Ring app says it finds the wifi SSID i chose, and then once I say good to go, the ring starts spinning blue (which means it is trying to connect to the WIFi i chose, but then it fails and says cannot connect. ) I have had this exact ring device, including it's door bell, oh and an august device - none of them now connect since end of Jan/Feb.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7