Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: router coverage

sjais
Tutor

router coverage

Hi, I would like to know if an Orbi RBR20 router can cover a small house of 130 sqm on 3 floors.
Each floor is approx. 45m2. The internet box is centrally located on the ground floor.
Would it be fine to be used without a satellite knowing that my problem is more vertical than horinzontal

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@sjais wrote:

Hi, I would like to know if an Orbi RBR20 router can cover a small house of 130 sqm on 3 floors.
Each floor is approx. 45m2. The internet box is centrally located on the ground floor.
Would it be fine to be used without a satellite knowing that my problem is more vertical than horinzontal

There is probably more to this question than it seems.  The primary reason to purchase a "mesh" system is to have more than one Access Point.  Radio coverage is limited by regulators in every country (the FCC in the US).  With a fixed antenna power, almost every WiFi access point will have approximately the same coverage.  Multiple antennas (MIMO) can extend coverage, provided that the user device supports that technology.

"Vertical" is the Achilles heel of WiFi systems, as the antennas are designed for horizontal coverage rather than vertical coverage.

My suggestion is to borrow any WiFi access point (of any brand).  Set it up on the ground floor and then see if it produces good coverage on the upper floors.  It doesn't even need internet access to perform this test.

Message 2 of 4
sjais
Tutor

Thanks for you answer
I am not sure to understand what you wrote.
I already have WiFi in the basement and the first floor thanks to WiFi plugs but the network is very low in comparison with the really good fiber network I have in the ground floor. Also each time I use the stairs, I am loosing the connexion and I need to restart the WiFi with my phone.
My house is 130 sqm so if I read your site 1 router and no satellite should be enough but if not shall I buy 1 or 2 satellites?
Thanks
Stephane
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7