Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: satellite RBS50 flashing white need to update firmware

anouschkaw
Aspirant

satellite RBS50 flashing white need to update firmware

The firmware on this satelite is different from the router's firmware and the other (working) satellite. I've tried resetting, syncing, unplugging, everything. 

How do I manually get this satellite on board? It doesn't show up in my network. I have an ethernet cable and can connect the RBS50 to my MacBook if needed. But can't find the steps to do this. 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Manual RBS FW update after RBR was updated:
You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@anouschkaw wrote:

The firmware on this satelite is different from the router's firmware and the other (working) satellite. I've tried resetting, syncing, unplugging, everything. 

How do I manually get this satellite on board? It doesn't show up in my network. I have an ethernet cable and can connect the RBS50 to my MacBook if needed. But can't find the steps to do this. 

Message 3 of 7
anouschkaw
Aspirant

I tried all or your suggestions under the guidandce of a Netgear rep: no luck. My setup was working fine until the firmware update. Not happy about that!

(learned it's better to not do FW updates over wifi which seems ridiculous since that's not mentioned anywhere)

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask NG support about a RMA if the RBS can't be resolved. 

It's common knowledge that FW updates should not be performed with a wireless PC over a wireless connection. Signal quality and noise can cause problems when sending FW updates over a wireless connection. 

Message 5 of 7
anouschkaw
Aspirant

If it's 'common knowledge' to not update wirelessly, why doesn't Netgear mention that but instead instructs you to do it via the Orbi App? I learned the hard way, and Netgear sold another Orbi!Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Avoid useing Orbi app for any FW updates. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7