Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: server access via wifi orbi

otoko
Tutor

server access via wifi orbi

hi, i installed my orbi wifi network creating a personnal wifi which works perfectly well.

How do i manage to connect to my synology server (lan plugged to my modem) via the "orbi wifi??

i though it would be automatic since both server and orbi are LAN connected to the modem.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please clarify - Do you have the Synology plugged into your ISP router? And your Orbi router is also plugged into the ISP Router.

If so you have two seperate networks and it cannot work. 

You need to plug all your wired devices directly into the Orbi and it's satellites - then your wireless devices can connect to those.

Also the Orbi router's WAN port has to plug into the ISP routers internet port and you have to either ask the ISP to set their router to bridged mode or do that yourself if you can - so that the ISP can give your Orbi router and internet address (otherwise your orbi is only running on an internal network IP and things will not work as you expect with double NAT.)

Message 2 of 5
otoko
Tutor

Hi,

I have the Synology and the orbi plugged into to ISP router.
I thought that way by connecting to the « orbi WiFi » on my Mac book Pro would allow me to see and access my synology through the finder.

I used to access it via WiFi before Orbi. I used a netgear repeater that had a different WiFi name than the ISP WiFi.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Switch your Orbi to Acces Point mode. Then everything will be on one LAN segment and you will be able to access the Synology vi WiFi.

Message 4 of 5
otoko
Tutor

Great!!! Everything works just fine now! Thx
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation