Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: shed connection , blank sheet of paper

Harks11
Aspirant

shed connection , blank sheet of paper

I have a shed 30 metres from the house. There is an ethernet cable between the two.There is an Internet connection to the house is maximum 60 meg. What is the ideal way to create a network with the one SSID. What equipemnt should I use. 

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Harks11 wrote:

I have a shed 30 metres from the house. There is an ethernet cable between the two.There is an Internet connection to the house is maximum 60 meg. What is the ideal way to create a network with the one SSID. What equipemnt should I use. 

Some additional information would be useful.  Do you have an existing WiFi system that you wish to expand?  (Orbi, perhaps?)

60mb is an 'unusual' number for an ethernet connection.

If there is an existing Orbi WiFi system in the house, then the ideal solution is to place an Orbi satellite with ethernet capability in the shed.

That would be an RBS20, RBS40, RBS50, or RBS40V.

Message 2 of 6
Harks11
Aspirant

I have a mixture old and new but I think I need to reconsider compatability. I have a RAX80, two ex7700 and orbi outdoor. Some bad advice at the shop ended up mixing two band and three band devices. So I though I would start again and maybe get a mesh setup, but its a bit confusing

Message 3 of 6
Harks11
Aspirant

On the 60meg that is what the RAX80 says on speed test. The connection is a 50meh fixed wireless. I made mention to show its not super fast fibre

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Harks11 wrote:

I have a mixture old and new but I think I need to reconsider compatability. I have a RAX80, two ex7700 and orbi outdoor. Some bad advice at the shop ended up mixing two band and three band devices. So I though I would start again and maybe get a mesh setup, but its a bit confusing

"Confusing" is good description of the current WiFi landscape.  Every manufacturer is (frantically) introducing products which feature

• "mesh" (or single SSID) technology
  • WiFi6 capability (and perhaps also "mesh")
  • while anticipating WiFi6E (expanded to the 6GHz bands)

Netgear actually has two entirely separate (and competing) product lines: Orbi and Nighthawk.

The key question might be, "what needs to be connected to WiFi in the shed?"  Something that never moves, or simply WiFi for those times a smartphone happens to go into the shed?

I would be tempted to drop another EX7700 in the shed and be done with it.

Message 5 of 6
Harks11
Aspirant

Thanks for sticking with me here. Originally I had a R8000 with the EX7700 that worked well in the house. But the shed was just too far away. Hence I will put in the ethernet as I found a spare conduit. I want it there for the Solar system and all general phone / ipad browsing. The Orbi outdoor was intended for the yard, bbq area, visitors etc. When the R8000 died the guy at the shop told be the best replacement was the RAX80 (is that a good match for the EX7700). So i feel I have ended up with a mess. So looking for a design that will provide reliable wifi to the three areas. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7