Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: sizing new orbi system

td3201
Aspirant

sizing new orbi system

Hello,

I'm looking at buying the Orbi system for my home. I have two levels, basement, and a backyard patio/pool area that I'd like covered. All in, it's about 4500 ft2. I can put my cable modem about anywhere but I'm guessing I'd prefer it in my utility room in my basement. I'll have a Alexa home automation smart devices, a few wireless cameras, streaming video, gaming, etc. What do I need to buy?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Similar to mine. two story house with basement under mine.

Yes, keep router on same level or router on main level and satellite on 2nd level. I have my router up on 2nd level at one end of my house and 1 satellite at the opposite end on main level. My ISP modem is place up on 2nd level where my modem and all my networking equipment is.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would attempt to put the Orbi router on the main level, maybe at one end of the house and place the satellite at the other end opposite from the router starting at 30feet in between the router at satellite. Try to keep the main wifi at the first level and not in the basement.

What shape is your home?

Message 2 of 8
td3201
Aspirant

It's a big rectangle.  So you're saying keep both satelite and router on same level?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Similar to mine. two story house with basement under mine.

Yes, keep router on same level or router on main level and satellite on 2nd level. I have my router up on 2nd level at one end of my house and 1 satellite at the opposite end on main level. My ISP modem is place up on 2nd level where my modem and all my networking equipment is.

Message 4 of 8
td3201
Aspirant

Ok cool but I should be able to get this done with just a router and a satelite you think? And sorry for the dumb question but just confirming. The satelite bridges into the network wirelessly without an ethernet drop, correct?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes should be good with just one satellite to start. 

Yes the satellite wirelessly bridges to the main router while also handling AP mode connections. 

Message 6 of 8
td3201
Aspirant

I bought what you recommended and will try it out! I'm hoping the app has coverage strenghth and mapping capabilities. I could see having to put an outside AP as well but will cross that bridge later.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos