Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow WiFi speeds

MaguEbel
Aspirant

slow WiFi speeds

I do have a 100 MBit Internet contract, but with the ORBI in AP-Mode I get only 20-30 MBit most of the time. I already checked every configurations, I still have no solutions. My main router is a Fritzbox 7490.
I even bought a second sattelite to improve but it’s still the same . I feel kind of helpless as my free support-time is over now.
Who has the same experience and does have an idea or solution?!
And the interruption of the connection in iOS is still a problem, even with the newest firmware...
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Re: slow WiFi speeds

You will need a WiFi device with 5 GHz and at least 802.11n to get 100 Mbps over WiFi.  What are you testing with? What speed do you get with a wired device plugged into the router, with WiFi OFF on the device?

Message 2 of 6
MaguEbel
Aspirant

It‘s an iPhone 7plus (one of different Apple devices)...
A Apple TV plugged to the Orbi-satellite with LAN gets at least 60/65 MBit...
Do you mean the Orbi-Router to plug something in?
Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

I was referring to plugging a laptop or desktop into the Orbi router and doing a speed test. The Apple TV result is good enough for now.

Your iPhone 7+ is a very capable WiFi client so that is not the problem.  I get 470 Mbps with Orbi and my iPhone 7+.

The problem could be with your routers.  Your Fritzbox is a router and so is Orbi.  If you want to use Orbi with the Fritzbox you should turn OFF the WiFi radios in the Fritzbox so they do not interfere with Orbi. This is critical. You also need to switch Orbi to Access Point Mode, so that only the Fritzbox is doing the routing.

To setup Access Point mode: Log into the Orbi router with a web broswer, and go to Advanced, Advanced Setup, Router/AP Mode, and choose AP mode.  Pay careful attention to the diagram showing how to wire the Orbi. You must connect Orbi's Internet port to a Fritzbox LAN port.

You might need to power cycle Orbi, the Fritzbox, and your devices after making this change.

Message 4 of 6
MaguEbel
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your advice but I already did all that...
I’m already in AP-mode and the Wi-Fi is turned off in the Fritzbox...
Actually is there any differences between the 4 LAN-Ports of the Fritzbox?
I hope you have some more advise...that would be great !
Message 5 of 6
MaguEbel
Aspirant

Actually what is really strange: only the download seems to be the problem ...upload is exactly like it should be...
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7