Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow speed

Waldem01
Follower

slow speed

Hi, I have an orbi rbr 40 with single sattelite rbs40 connected to a vodafone gigafast service via cat6 ethernet cable. If i run speedtest i get upload speed of 934.70mbps and download speeds of maximum 584mbps reported either on the web interface or on the app.

Using a PC i get 900+ mbps upload and download speeds using speedtest.net or fast.com which gives me slight variations in speed, circa 1.0Gbps and sometimes more (seen 2.1Gbps on Fast.com)

This result is the same if I use the wired ports on the Orbi or the vodafone router, only slight difference is the ping which is 5ms on vodafone and 6 to 7 on Orbi ports, makes no difference which one I use.

I have updated to the latest firmware on the whole system, performed a complete factory reset and set up again but still have this issue.

If i connect my phone via wifi i get similar results in that obviously the speed is lower, however the download speed is significantly lower than the upload. Using the ookla speedtest App or borowser I get circa 160-180mbps download and up to 400mbps upload.

Previously I had cable service from Virginmedia with download speed on the app and on-line as 380mbps and 20mbps upload, even on my phone same results using ookla App (huawei mate 20 pro)

Has anyone found similar issues and/or a solution?

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: slow speed

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Router here? If so,

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What Speeds do you see if the Orbi is set to AP mode with the ISP modem? 

@Waldem01 wrote:

Hi, I have an orbi rbr 40 with single sattelite rbs40 connected to a vodafone gigafast service via cat6 ethernet cable. If i run speedtest i get upload speed of 934.70mbps and download speeds of maximum 584mbps reported either on the web interface or on the app.

Using a PC i get 900+ mbps upload and download speeds using speedtest.net or fast.com which gives me slight variations in speed, circa 1.0Gbps and sometimes more (seen 2.1Gbps on Fast.com)

This result is the same if I use the wired ports on the Orbi or the vodafone router, only slight difference is the ping which is 5ms on vodafone and 6 to 7 on Orbi ports, makes no difference which one I use.

I have updated to the latest firmware on the whole system, performed a complete factory reset and set up again but still have this issue.

If i connect my phone via wifi i get similar results in that obviously the speed is lower, however the download speed is significantly lower than the upload. Using the ookla speedtest App or borowser I get circa 160-180mbps download and up to 400mbps upload.

Previously I had cable service from Virginmedia with download speed on the app and on-line as 380mbps and 20mbps upload, even on my phone same results using ookla App (huawei mate 20 pro)

Has anyone found similar issues and/or a solution?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7