Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow wifi

tomas_arnold
Aspirant

slow wifi

when conncected i get 215 MB down but when any device connected max down is 18 MB that is the device within 6 inches of the access point. do not know why or what settings are incorrect. Router Firmware Version V2.7.3.22

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: slow wifi

A bit more details is needed. 

1. what modem/gateway is the orbi connected to? 

2. what wired speed do you get? 
3. what is the speed over 2.4ghz?

4. what is the speed over 5ghz?

5. what device are you testing on and what site/app are you speedtesting on? 

Message 2 of 8
tomas_arnold
Aspirant

1. what modem/gateway is the orbi connected to? the provided AP20 from the cable company

2. what wired speed do you get?  wired i get 224.36 down and 11.61 up MB 
3. what is the speed over 2.4ghz? 36.80 down and 11.32 up MB

4. what is the speed over 5ghz?  41.46 down and 11.67 up MB

5. what device are you testing on and what site/app are you speedtesting on? www.speedtest.net

Message 3 of 8
tomas_arnold
Aspirant

1. what modem/gateway is the orbi connected to? the provided AP20 from the cable company

5. what device are you testing on and what site/app are you speedtesting on? www.speedtest.net

Message 4 of 8
tomas_arnold
Aspirant

Message 5 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@tomas_arnold wrote:

Is this when you are wired to the Orbi or when you are wired to the AP20?  We would like to know if there is a speed difference between the 2 methods.

Message 6 of 8
tomas_arnold
Aspirant

I get the same speed if I'm hard lined to the AP20 and hard lined to the orbi.
Message 7 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@tomas_arnold wrote:

OK, we know from your wired tests that the Orbi's (download) speed is good so something specific to wireless is reducing throughput.

How many satellites do you have in your system?  If you temporarily turn them off, so only the RBR is running, do you wireless speeds improve?

What is the client where you're testing 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz speeds?  What kind of wireless device is it using and have you installed the latest drivers?  It looks like you might be using a Windows PC, so check if there are newer wi-fi drivers from your PC manufacturer's support site or the device manufacturer's site.

How are you forcing 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz?  If you're setting properties on hte Windows wi-fi device, check that you have AC speeds enabled for 5Ghz.  We would expect that your 5Ghz / AC wireless speeds should be at least in the low hundreds.  If you right-click on the device and select Status, what does it say for Speed?  This is the wireless link / theoretical max speed, so 5Ghz AC should say 866 Mbps whereas 2.4Ghz should say 400 Mbps: https://kb.netgear.com/31211/At-what-speed-and-bandwidth-can-my-Orbi-system-transmit-data

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7