Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

sonos on an orbi guest network

len_c
Aspirant

sonos on an orbi guest network

I have been letting my neighbor ride on my wifi for years using an Airport extreme. I have been on the primary network, and him on the guest network. We have both had Sonos3 speakers on our individual networks. A few months ago, I switched over to an Orbi RBR50, with the main in my house and the satilite in his, me on the primary network, he on the guest. Since then he has been unable to get his Sonos speaker to work. It shows up in the attached devices list on the guest network, but it could not be found by the sonos app. Any ideas on how to get this working again? Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: sonos on an orbi guest network

@len_c wrote:

Thanks agian, but doesn't the "and access my local network" part of that setting kind of defeat the purpose of a guest network (at least for my purposes)? Wouldn't that give "guests" access to my printer, NAS etc?

True. Usually guest clients would not need to communicate with each other and access the LAN newtwork. That's why it's an optional parameter.

For your use case, you need to allow the device on the guest network which has the Sonos app to be able to see the speaker on the guest network to be able for this function to work. Drawback would be that all devices on the guest network will then be able to see devices in your LAN.

I know that Orbi Pro has better functionality related to Guest networks that allow better control over which services that guest clients can access. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

In the Guest network there is a setting to allow devices on the Guest network to communicate with each other, is this enabled?

I assume that both the phone that has the Sonos app and the speaker are on the Guest network, right?

Message 2 of 7
len_c
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Can you point me to the location of that setting? I haven't been able to find it.

Message 3 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Untitled.png

Please see above, you find it under >> Advanced >> Setup >> Guest Network

Message 4 of 7
len_c
Aspirant

Thanks agian, but doesn't the "and access my local network" part of that setting kind of defeat the purpose of a guest network (at least for my purposes)? Wouldn't that give "guests" access to my printer, NAS etc?

Message 5 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@len_c wrote:

True. Usually guest clients would not need to communicate with each other and access the LAN newtwork. That's why it's an optional parameter.

For your use case, you need to allow the device on the guest network which has the Sonos app to be able to see the speaker on the guest network to be able for this function to work. Drawback would be that all devices on the guest network will then be able to see devices in your LAN.

I know that Orbi Pro has better functionality related to Guest networks that allow better control over which services that guest clients can access. 

Message 6 of 7
len_c
Aspirant

Okay. Thanks again for your help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements