Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: speed slows down Orbi

johnwallis42
Guide

speed slows down Orbi

My iMac is connected through wifi to my orbi system. The orbi has 1 satellite. My internet service is AT&T gigspeed and when I test it with a CAT5 connection I get 950mbps up and down, but I don't usually use the CAT5 connection since this disables my Itunes remote play, the iMac has to be connected to the same wifi as my other apple devices for that to work. When I first turn on my iMac when it is connected to wifi I am getting speeds in the 200-300mbps range when tested with the online AT&T speedtest and also with the Speedtest app. However after a short time if I test again I am only getting maybe 40mbps on both tests, then if I restart my speed will again be in the 200-300mbps range for a while. The Orbi app shows that the iMac is connected to 5G at 866mbps. I have a number of devices also connected to the wifi, such as cameras and Apple Tvs, however when I was using an Apple router the speed was constant so I do not believe it is "wifi interference" Can anyone please tell me what the hell is going on, because I am about ready to chuck this Orbi in the trash and go with an actual mesh system? Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Before you trash your Orbi system, please know that it's not the Orbi system that is at fault. Your wireless devices are the culprit here and most other client side HW. Depending upon actual design of the HW, most client devices are limited by there actual throughput speeds. At most you'll not see anything much over 400-500Mb in actual throughput speeds. This differs from the connection rate speed you see 866Mb. This is a coonnection rate speed between the physical layer of the client device and the phsyical layer of the routers wifi only. Has nothing to do with actual data speed flow at your client device.

You need to contact Apple and ask them what there actual or theoretical speeds are with there devices.

Most wifi devices won't see anything around 900Mb. Current tech capabilities at the moment.

Message 2 of 17
johnwallis42
Guide

That may be true, however it is completely irrelevant since I am not expecting the wifi of the iMac to achieve even 400mbps, I would be happy with 200mbps and actually it is quite capable of 800mbps according to the Apple spec. My issue is I am only getting 40mbps, which is unacceptable. Got anything else?

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW are you using?

What channels are you using? Try manual 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any manual channel on 5Ghz. I have mine set for 48.

Any other wifi neigbors near by? if so, how many and what channels are they using?

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6.

Try disabling 20/40Mhz coexistence.

Try speed testing with Safari, FF or Opera on your Mac with speedtest.net to test for differences.

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP modem/ONT?

Message 4 of 17
johnwallis42
Guide

FW is latest, tried all of those suggestions before posting, makes no difference. When it comes to testing this trust me theonly thing I had not tried prior to testing was slaughtering a goat and reading its entrails while watching the flight of birds. I have tested in Firefox and Safari and with the Speedtest app and using various different test sites, results are always the same. The iMac registers 200-300 mbps for a bit when restarted and then drops to 30-40mbps. Rinse and repeat. Sadly I doubt there is anyone living anywhere even in Outer Mongolia that doesn't have neighbors who have wifi, none of their systems have been a problem in the past and none of this was happening before I changed to the Orbi.  I only bought the Orbi because my Airport would not support gigspeed. The ISP modem is ATT Gigspeed, it tests out fine, when I run a CAT5 to it I get 950mbps.

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

To confirm which version of HW, please give the actual version of FW. There are some versions that could be recent. LOL

What do other devices you have speed test at and what are there results. Do these also see a decline in speed? Wondering if the iMac maybe the only device doing this.

I have iPhone 6sP, Mac Book Pro 2008 and other devices. I don't see this decline in my testing. Beamforming enabled, MiMO disabled, manual channel 48. WPA2 and AES only.

Message 6 of 17
johnwallis42
Guide

It is the RBR50, the firmware is V2.1.2.18 which is apparently the latest. I do not have a way to test the Apple Tvs or the cams etc, but my Ipad and iphones all seem to test reliably at the same speed which is somewhere in the 200-300mbps range up and down, so yes this seems to be iMac related.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try the v2.1.3.4 beta which is available. If you, factory reset the router after applying th update then set up from scratch.

I kind of doubt this will fix this. If your other devices are getting higher speeds vs the iMac, I presume the iMac would be the issue. What year is this iMac?

Message 8 of 17
johnwallis42
Guide

The iMac is 2017, the old one got hit by lightning last year so I had to buy a new one. I would rather not mess with a beta FW and as you say it is unlikely to fix the issue. I think my options here seem to be either live with it and accept that I spent $400 on something that does not work quite as well as I would like, or take the orbi and satellite out into the yard and blast them with a shotgun, smash them with a sledgehammer then load the remains onto a small hastily assembled raft of old software boxes and discs, launch said raft onto my pool and then set fire to it by shooting a flaming arrow at it. All the while filming this. After some careful editing I would upload this to youtube and email a link to Netgear's CEO and every single magazine reviewer who gave this soon to be pulverized object a glowing review. Then I will go buy myself the Google mesh or maybe something else, at this point it hardly matters as long as it's not a Netgear product. 

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact Apple first to see if there is any help and information regarding there HW and wireless speeds on the iMac. Understand the frustrastions, however this should be pointed towards Apple, not NG. Smiley Frustrated

I would connect the iMac via LAN cable as a alternate work around for this issue.

Message 10 of 17
johnwallis42
Guide

Not sure I follow your logic, the iMac worked perfectly well before with other routers and still does if I use my Airport Express. There are only two components to this puzzle one is an iMac that works with everything except the Orbi and the other is the Orbi that apparently. doesn't play well with my iMac. How exactly are you able to make a determination that this is not the fault of Netgear? Further may I just add that while it's common in tech to charge for support, this does not make the practice acceptable and when I first contacted Netgear about this issue my unit was under warranty so I spoke to "customer support" it was an hour and a half of my life that I will never get back and for all the good it did I may as well have consulted Yahoo Answers or the magic 8 ball, so ponying up $49.99 to go through that again is not really in the cards. I think my solution is the one that will at least render me some mild satisfation, but thanks for trying, I appreciate you taking the time and hope that as they say "your experience may vary".

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you said your other devices don't seen to see this issue with the router.

I presume there is some issue between the iMac and the orbi wifi. Something either Apple or NG support would have to take a closer look into.

You might send some logging captures if you get in contact with NG support. Or even make contact with one of the NG forum Moderators here. @AmitR and @DarrenM come to mind.

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 17
Ulairi
Luminary

I also remain convinced that there's something going on inside the RBR50 that is throttling the speed.  See this thread:

Speed Throttling?

This was back-to-back testing using the same PC and cables with the only variable being the router.  Two alternate router gave full download speeds per my plan, while the Orbi was consistently slower, with up to 80% speed reduction in some cases. 

I'm going to try the latest Beta firmware this weekend to see if the firmware and a full factory reset give any improvement.

However, despite these speed results and despite problems connecting a RBW30 satellite to the RBK50 kit, I nonetheless am prepared to stick with the Orbi. 40 Mbps is fast enough for any streaming in the house. The migration to the Orbi fixed a problem with Chromecast buffering that I had with my previous Linksys  EA8500.  We also used to get dropouts with the EA4500 and apart from the RBW30 issues, the Orbi has given me two months of stable connection. 

I'm sticking with the Orbi, versus other mesh options because the Orbi has these superior features:

• 4 x ethernet ports on the router and each satellite  (vs. two on most other mesh products)
  • USB port on the router and satellite
  • Dedicated backhaul channel.

I just hope that the Netgear team get the kinks ironed out soon ....

Message 13 of 17
tsig
Luminary

@johnwallis42

Besides pissing you off, are you experiencing any issues with the "slower" 40Mbps speeds?

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how the beta works for you.

I'm seeing consistent 200/10 speeds with my devices here, Both wired and wireless. AT the router and at Satellite.

iPhone 6sP and PC with D-Link DWA-192.

@Ulairi wrote:

I also remain convinced that there's something going on inside the RBR50 that is throttling the speed.  See this thread:

Speed Throttling?

This was back-to-back testing using the same PC and cables with the only variable being the router.  Two alternate router gave full download speeds per my plan, while the Orbi was consistently slower, with up to 80% speed reduction in some cases. 

I'm going to try the latest Beta firmware this weekend to see if the firmware and a full factory reset give any improvement.

However, despite these speed results and despite problems connecting a RBW30 satellite to the RBK50 kit, I nonetheless am prepared to stick with the Orbi. 40 Mbps is fast enough for any streaming in the house. The migration to the Orbi fixed a problem with Chromecast buffering that I had with my previous Linksys  EA8500.  We also used to get dropouts with the EA4500 and apart from the RBW30 issues, the Orbi has given me two months of stable connection. 

I'm sticking with the Orbi, versus other mesh options because the Orbi has these superior features:

• 4 x ethernet ports on the router and each satellite  (vs. two on most other mesh products)
  • USB port on the router and satellite
  • Dedicated backhaul channel.

I just hope that the Netgear team get the kinks ironed out soon ....

Message 15 of 17
Ulairi
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'm seeing consistent 200/10 speeds with my devices here, Both wired and wireless. AT the router and at Satellite.

I've been experiencing a speed bottleneck issue for a while ever since I got the Orbi a couple of months ago.  It initially set up with with firmware V2.1.1.18 and I reverted to   V2.0.0.34 and V2.0.1.2.  Updating firmware to V2.1.3.4,. today, similarly made no improvement. 

However, I'm pleased to report that a subsequent  factory reset (as painful as it was to re-establish everything) got my full download speeds back. Man Happy  200Mbps every time (previously averaging 75 Mbps and as low as 30 and as high as 110 Mbps

For anyone struggling with the Orbi performance, don't hesitate - bite the bullet and try a 'factory reset' . 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well now. This is what I have been saying all along. Glad someone believes now.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Ulairi wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've been experiencing a speed bottleneck issue for a while ever since I got the Orbi a couple of months ago.  It initially set up with with firmware V2.1.1.18 and I reverted to   V2.0.0.34 and V2.0.1.2.  Updating firmware to V2.1.3.4,. today, similarly made no improvement. 

However, I'm pleased to report that a subsequent  factory reset (as painful as it was to re-establish everything) got my full download speeds back. Man Happy  200Mbps every time (previously averaging 75 Mbps and as low as 30 and as high as 110 Mbps

For anyone struggling with the Orbi performance, don't hesitate - bite the bullet and try a 'factory reset' . 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7