Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

thanks - end of the road for Orbi and me

JDSiph
Tutor

thanks - end of the road for Orbi and me

Hello all.  I wanted to thank folks on this group for helping me the past few weeks.  However, I think I'm going in a new direction.

I started two weeks ago by posting about my CBR40.  I've used it for a year and never "really" happy with network speeds.  It maxed out around 23Mbps and as soon as I saw neighbors were getting over 100Mbps I started searching for answers.  Finally saw some posts online they despite the Obri box listing "Spectrum" on the label, it wasn't in Spectrum's list of recommended cable modems.  So, I called Spectrum and had them send me a cable modem.  I then tried to salvage the CBR40 as the WiFi engine but not use the buuilt-in cable modem anymore.  I used a Linksys router (turned off WiFi) between the Spectrum modem and the Orbi bit never could get it to really work.

So.... I decided I just needed a new WiFi router combined unit and got the AC3000 (RBR50 and RBS50) at a local store.  Loved the speeds (~ 115Mbps) compared to the old setup. However, it was self-rebooting too often (once a day, if not more) and I realilzed it shipped with 4 year-old firmware.  This morning I updated to the latest firmware (with helpful advice from this community) to the latest.  It's self-rebooted two of not times today.  Maybe more, of course as I only know about it when I'm actively using it.

So, I think this is the end of the road for me and Orbi.  I love lots about it, but I need stability.  I've read a lot about others complaining about the self-rebooting and never seen an aswer that I feel aligns with my situation, and I've sunk too many hours learning and troublshooting Orbi.  I'm selfish - I want it to work for me and I feel like I've been working for it.

Thanks again for all those that helped me.  You are a great community.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: thanks - end of the road for Orbi and me

@JDSiph wrote:

So, I think this is the end of the road for me and Orbi.  I love lots about it, but I need stability.  I've read a lot about others complaining about the self-rebooting and never seen an aswer that I feel aligns with my situation, and I've sunk too many hours learning and troublshooting Orbi.  I'm selfish - I want it to work for me and I feel like I've been working for it.

Thanks again for all those that helped me.  You are a great community.

I perform lots of flawless installs, of Orbi systems, for Spectrum ISP customers. Not to offend, but most problems are because of user configuration errors or defective devices out of the box. 

If you want your RBK system  to work flawlessly, remove ISP and other router, and plug your Orbi into the ISP modem box with at least a Cat5e cable. Reboot the ISP modem, Reset the Orbi router and satellites, and perform a new install, (I prefer using the app for ease and portability), letting the Orbi initially configure itself. Don't get fancy and try to put your own DNS or IP addresses in. Just follow the instructions. The Orbi will be in router mode.

Or, remove any router after the ISP router. Reset the Orbi router and satellites. Plug the Orbi router into the ISP router's LAN port, using at least a Cat5e cable. Perform a new install, letting the Orbi initially configure itself. Put the Orbi in AP mode. 

Then you can tweak for stability. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: thanks - end of the road for Orbi and me

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements