Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: two factor authentication

7401Question
Follower

two factor authentication

I have an Orbi Wifi router. I am using 2FA for the mobile devices that I use to manage the system, but is there a way to establish 2FA when a new device attempts WIFI access to the router?  The password helps against intruders joining my Wifi network, but I'd like to receive notification when somebody tries to join.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: two factor authentication

I am not aware of any residential WiFi router supporting 2FA for the WiFi connection.

The underlying WiFi technology does not have that methodology (WPA2, WPA3, etc.) Either the device supplies the correct (complicated, hard to guess) password, or it doesn't.

The Advanced security feature Access Control has a setting to "Block new devices from connecting"

CrimpOn_0-1652197516190.png

In this case, the "second factor" (after the password) is that the owner has to specifically allow the device. (not what you are wanting)

There is a huge difference between authentication and notification.  I have not enabled Armor or Parental Controls on my Orbi, but I read here that Armor does something similar to what you want:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/28378/ 

(Whether it works or not, I have no idea.)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7