Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: unable to connect iphone orbit app to router

boseyman1
Aspirant

unable to connect iphone orbit app to router

Hello,

I have an Orbi mesh network that currently works for all my computers and an ipad. When I try to connect to the Orbi app on my iphone, I keep getting a prompt that says "incorrect password." The password is cleary written on the router and on both satellites, so I know I am entering the correct password. I have deleted the app and then re-installed it. I have re-started all the routers and the orbi network. I still get the same result and cannot connect with the app when I to to setting/wi-fi/orbi**. Any suggestions on what to do? My phone connects fine with my FIOS router, and the Orbi routers also comes up on the available list of routers. I know I am entering the correct password. Appreciate any suggestings. Thank you.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
boseyman1
Aspirant

First, thank you all for helping me with suggestions. I did use the password recovery procedure that Netgear suggested, and I saw that my admin password had changed. I was still not able to log in. So, I deleted the Orbi app, and then re-installed it. I then tried setting up my Orbi router as a new device. When it prompted me to connect to it, I simply placed my phone next to my macbook pro(which was connected to the Orbi router) and a pop up window on the laptop prompted me, "do you want to share your Orbi password with your iphone?" I answered yes, and boom my phone was connected. Problem solved. I updated my hardware to the the new firmware and everything is fine. So, now all devices are on the Orbi mesh. 

Not the most elegant solution, but when I tested the network everything was connected and upload/download speeds were great. Thank you all again for your help! Much appreciated. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Has a new admin PW been setup ON the Orbi RBR when you walked thru the setup wizard? IF not, please use a wired PC and walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR and setup a new PW for the admin account. Write down all important information seen turn the setup wizard process for safe keeping. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@boseyman1 wrote:

Hello,

When I try to connect to the Orbi app on my iphone, I keep getting a prompt that says "incorrect password." The password is cleary written on the router and on both satellites, so I know I am entering the correct password.

Orbi has two kinds of passwords: WiFi and administrative.  When  it comes "out of the box", the WiFi name (SSID) and password are what is printed on the label.  The administrative login is "admin" and the password is "password".  Duriing setup, the user is offered a chance to change the WiFi name and password and is also encouraged to change the administrative password to something more difficult to guess.

If the iphone can connect to WiFi and do other things, then the WiFi name and password are correct.  When the Orbi app cannot connect, then the administrative password being entered is not correct.  While it may still be "password", it is almost certainly not going to be the same as the WiFi password.

Message 3 of 7

If some devices connect to the wifi, but others don't, then the issue may be with the wifi client, you iPhone. Tell it to forget the wifi network and set up the wifi connection from scratch.

However, you said earlier:

My phone connects fine with my FIOS router,

As @FURRYe38 hints, this may mean that you have got two routers on your network. Not a good idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router, but sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A lot of people use Orbi routers in AP mode with little apparent loss of function.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if there is any progress on this. 

@boseyman1 wrote:

Hello,

I have an Orbi mesh network that currently works for all my computers and an ipad. When I try to connect to the Orbi app on my iphone, I keep getting a prompt that says "incorrect password." The password is cleary written on the router and on both satellites, so I know I am entering the correct password. I have deleted the app and then re-installed it. I have re-started all the routers and the orbi network. I still get the same result and cannot connect with the app when I to to setting/wi-fi/orbi**. Any suggestions on what to do? My phone connects fine with my FIOS router, and the Orbi routers also comes up on the available list of routers. I know I am entering the correct password. Appreciate any suggestings. Thank you.

Message 5 of 7
boseyman1
Aspirant

First, thank you all for helping me with suggestions. I did use the password recovery procedure that Netgear suggested, and I saw that my admin password had changed. I was still not able to log in. So, I deleted the Orbi app, and then re-installed it. I then tried setting up my Orbi router as a new device. When it prompted me to connect to it, I simply placed my phone next to my macbook pro(which was connected to the Orbi router) and a pop up window on the laptop prompted me, "do you want to share your Orbi password with your iphone?" I answered yes, and boom my phone was connected. Problem solved. I updated my hardware to the the new firmware and everything is fine. So, now all devices are on the Orbi mesh. 

Not the most elegant solution, but when I tested the network everything was connected and upload/download speeds were great. Thank you all again for your help! Much appreciated. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your post as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@boseyman1 wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7