Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: updated my RBR50 to firmware 2.5.0.38 satellites do not appear online

rtparies
Guide

updated my RBR50 to firmware 2.5.0.38 satellites do not appear online

Hello, my RBR50 to firmware 2.5.0.38 last night

When i look at the connected devices on the 192.168.1.1 admin page (web interface), it says the satellites are not connected
when i look at the network map on the orbi app it says it is online.
I assume they are working?
Any one else having this issue?

Message 1 of 39
Kams
Star

I am seeing the same issue. It seems something broke in the new FW and I cannot see devices on the web ui either. On the app, the app finally showed some devices after a while, but it cannot retain the names anymore, keeps going to default

Also circle is not working properly either.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 39
schumaku
Guru

@rtparies wrote:

RBR50 to firmware 2.5.0.38 ... When i look at the connected devices on the 192.168.1.1 admin page (web interface), it says the satellites are not connected
when i look at the network map on the orbi app it says it is online.

Wired (hub and spoke, or daisy chain), or wireless, or mixed bckhaul?

Message 3 of 39
rtparies
Guide

My Satellites are wired
not sure what (hub and spoke, or daisy chain) means
they all are connected to a single switch

Message 4 of 39
schumaku
Guru

Ok, reads familiar to what I have just read about the new WiFi 6 Orbi - a very similar report.

Message 5 of 39
rtparies
Guide

Considering how expensive these are , this is really crappy support and quality. 
From what i can tell there is no real support , only community?? is that correct?

Message 6 of 39
Kams
Star

Hub and spoke meaning each satellite is connected to the main router directly, like a whle and its spokes

daisy chain means, the 1st satellite is connected to the main router, and the 2nd is connected to the 1st, and so on. all wireless of course

Message 7 of 39
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @Kams for the clarification! Also a config to a central (non-managed) GbE switch - logically similar.

@rtparies sorry for the tech talk!

Message 8 of 39
rtparies
Guide

Thanks all for the help in terms, now if we could just resolve the issues.. I am seeing other people on twitter with the same issues

Message 9 of 39
Kams
Star

Yes they only offer 90 days of phone support, after that its email, tickets and community, which sucks, i know!

Message 10 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the MFr and model # of the switch your using with the RBS and RBR? 

Have you tried a reset on the RBS and re-add it while in the same room as the RBR to see if it will re-sync correctly, then wire connect it after wards directly to the the back of the RBR? 

I updated my RBR and RBS yesterday. The RBS is behind 4 daisy chain Gb LAN switches. HP and D-Link non managed. No issues with the RBS wire connected. 

@rtparies wrote:

My Satellites are wired
not sure what (hub and spoke, or daisy chain) means
they all are connected to a single switch

Message 11 of 39
rtparies
Guide

just a note... this config was working until I updating the firmware

Message 12 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the MFr and model # of the switch your using with the RBS and RBR? 

Have you tried a reset on the RBS and re-add it while in the same room as the RBR to see if it will re-sync correctly, then wire connect it after wards directly to the the back of the RBR? 

I updated my RBR and RBS yesterday. The RBS is behind 4 daisy chain Gb LAN switches. HP and D-Link non managed. No issues with the RBS wire connected. "just a note... this config was working on prior firmware as well"

Message 13 of 39
rtparies
Guide

Has anyone successfully rolled back firmware?

I can not remove the satelites to re-add them..

what a cluster this release is

Message 14 of 39
Kams
Star

So I did do the full reset and setup. The issue about the web gui not showing the Satellite connected is gone. But neither the web gui nor the apl can retain the names and types of the devices. So that feature is shot. It is running fine just like it was last night, except the showing of the connection with Satellites.
Message 15 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using?

I've been using Opera and been seeing the RBS and RBR UI features. 

Have you set up the RBS and added it while in the same room as the RBR? 

I was cable to add my RBS while in the same room and at it's remote location downstairs. 

@Kams wrote:
So I did do the full reset and setup. The issue about the web gui not showing the Satellite connected is gone. But neither the web gui nor the apl can retain the names and types of the devices. So that feature is shot. It is running fine just like it was last night, except the showing of the connection with Satellites.

Message 16 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Use Opera browser during setup and walk thru the wizard. I have had no issues in geting my RBK50 setup on v.38. 

@rtparies wrote:

Has anyone successfully rolled back firmware?

I can not remove the satelites to re-add them..

what a cluster this release is

Message 17 of 39
Kams
Star

@FURRYe38 

Let me clarify:

Before the factory reset but after upgrading to 2.5.0.38, these are the issues I was seeing:

The Web GUI was showing the satellites were not connected, even though they were.

The Devices section on both the App and the Web GUI would not retain any changes made to the device names

After factory reset and setup (I reconfigured everything from scratch, did not use a config backup)

The Web GUI was showing that the satellites were connected correctly

However -> The Devices section on both the App and the Web GUI would not retain any changes made to the device names still

And last night I could not load the Web GUI at all as it was showing broken graphics etc. I tried on Firefox, Chrome and Edge (which I barely use) and did clear cache, etc. I have not tried Opera.

Thx

Message 18 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

We have already confirmed the naming and saving issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Device-Names-not-Saving/m-p/1814774#M73487

Thank you. 

@Kams wrote:

@FURRYe38 

Let me clarify:

Before the factory reset but after upgrading to 2.5.0.38, these are the issues I was seeing:

The Web GUI was showing the satellites were not connected, even though they were.

The Devices section on both the App and the Web GUI would not retain any changes made to the device names

After factory reset and setup (I reconfigured everything from scratch, did not use a config backup)

The Web GUI was showing that the satellites were connected correctly

However -> The Devices section on both the App and the Web GUI would not retain any changes made to the device names still

And last night I could not load the Web GUI at all as it was showing broken graphics etc. I tried on Firefox, Chrome and Edge (which I barely use) and did clear cache, etc. I have not tried Opera.

Thx

Message 19 of 39
rtparies
Guide

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

factory reset will be a last resort. i have soooooooo many things configured , it would be a real PITA 

Message 20 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

We know you have configuration set. Sometimes a reset IS needed. You can do a backup configuration to file, then reset and setup from scratch. Test if it works, you can try the backup configuration from file then test again. 

@rtparies wrote:

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

factory reset will be a last resort. i have soooooooo many things configured , it would be a real PITA 

Message 21 of 39
rtparies
Guide

"Sometimes a reset IS needed"

I am sorry but this is ridiculous.  i would expect this with a cheap $50 router (although i never had to do that ever with any of the linksys and other cheap routers for the last 20 years )

especially no customer support at all for a $400-$500 product? wow what an expensive mistake to buy this crap!

Message 22 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Then you'll have to live with your decision and continue to have problems if you choose not to at least try the reset troubleshooting step. Make a backup of the current configuration and then reset. Setup from scratch and then if your problems seem fixed, then you can apply the back up. 

Up to you. v38 is working for me and RBS appears for me in both the RBRs web page and on the Orbi app. 

Good Luck. 

Message 23 of 39
Stev3D
Luminary

@FURRYe38, I've seen you give a lot of great advice in this community, but your go-to solution to everything lately seems to be factory reset.  It has been my experience that this does nothing to solve what is likely to be poorly-tested firmware updates -- and it wastes a lot of time and effort.  

Immediately after every update there are a flurry of postings by people experience in problems -- usually the same kinds of problems -- and that suggests inadequate testing prior to release.   A factory reset is, as several have pointed out in just the few threads on v2.5.0.28 I've seen tonight, a HUGE pain in the butt.  I've stopped taking that advice because after much gnashing of teeth, it never makes a difference.

My satellite is balky after this update too (which is why I am poking around), and resetting a satellite is a minor deal (so I'll muddle through), but if my router was being troublesome after this update, the last thing I would be happy with is a lunminary on these boards to tell me to do a factory reset.

I might suggest trying to manually re-apply the update in the unlikely event that the first time it was glitchy, powering down all devices including the satellite, and only having the device managing the router running (so one can track things).

When telling people to factory reset, making sure they understand to save their configuration so they can at least get back to where they were is really important (obvious to you, but perhaps not to others).

The real solution to these issues is for Netgear to do a better job of testing their software before release it to an unsuspecting public.

Message 24 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I do agree and sometimes for those that have updated, it has worked for them. However for some, a reset is needed, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Firmware-v2-5-0-38/m-p/1816518/highlight/true#M73937

The reset is suggested for those who seem to have odd problems after a FW udpate. One reason I don't see alot of or any of these odd issues like some of you is that I ALWAYS factory reset after a FW update and setup from scratch. As I have also seen oddities before with out a factory reset. NG and Non NG mfr routers. I've been doing this for years now. 

So I seem to be repeating myself and not sorry that I do, it's just one step in helping users as a last resort to see if we can get them up and running. 

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7