Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

use RBR350 with existing RBR50

RichTsang
Follower

use RBR350 with existing RBR50

I have existng Orbi RBR50 (with RBS50 and RBS40). everything is good. It's connected to the ISP modem.

I got an extra Orbi RBR350 (router + 1 Satellite). I like to connect to the existing mesh system to utilize it.

Option 1

I checked online. I can set RBR350 Router as AP mode and wired connected to the RBR50 router. It works. However, I get another question "is RBS350 satellite working when RBR350 router in AP mode?"

After connecting to RBR350 as AP mode, I won't be able to go to the control panel. So, I cannot verify this part.

Option 2

I setup the RBR350 as router mode. In the WAN Setup. I points to the RBR50 Router. However, I got another subnet (RBR50 192.168.0.x and RBR350 192.168.1.x). devices connected in either subnet can access to internet. But my question is "How can these 2 subnets talk to each others?"

Thanks

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: use RBR350 with existing RBR50

@RichTsang wrote:

"is RBS350 satellite working when RBR350 router in AP mode?"

After connecting to RBR350 as AP mode, I won't be able to go to the control panel. So, I cannot verify this part.

When the RBR350 is connected to the existing WiFi router in Access Point (AP) mode, both it and the RBS350 satellite will be assigned IP addresses by the primary router.  The web interface of both the RBR350 and the RBS350 will be available at those IP addresses.  With Option 1, the entire system is in one IP subnet and thus all devices can communicate with each other.  However, they remain separate mesh systems.  Even if exactly the same WiFi name/password are assigned to the 350 network, devices will not automatically roam between the units.

@RichTsang wrote:

Option 2

I setup the RBR350 as router mode. In the WAN Setup. I points to the RBR50 Router. However, I got another subnet (RBR50 192.168.0.x and RBR350 192.168.1.x). devices connected in either subnet can access to internet. But my question is "How can these 2 subnets talk to each other?"

This is more complicated.  Devices on the 350 subnet know that any IP address not on the 350 subnet is "out there somewhere" and will packets will be directed to the 350 router for delivery.  The 350 router will notice that IPs on its WAN subnet are local and will not direct them to the primary router to be delivered to the internet.  In this direction, all is good.

The problem is that the 350 subnet is hidden from the primary network. Ordinarily, the primary router would say, "these IPs are not here, so they must be "out there" somewhere and try to deliver them to the internet.  I believe that the way to handle this is to create a static route in the primary router which says that this hidden subnet can be found by sending packets to the 350 router's WAN IP address. 

Option 2 has all the drawbacks of Option 1 (not one system) and creates this additional complication.  Option 2 seems not as good as Option 1.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: use RBR350 with existing RBR50

@RichTsang wrote:

"is RBS350 satellite working when RBR350 router in AP mode?"

When the RBR350 is connected to the existing WiFi router in Access Point (AP) mode, both it and the RBS350 satellite will be assigned IP addresses by the primary router.  The web interface of both the RBR350 and the RBS350 will be available at those IP addresses.  With Option 1, the entire system is in one IP subnet and thus all devices can communicate with each other.  However, they remain separate mesh systems.  Even if exactly the same WiFi name/password are assigned to the 350 network, devices will not automatically roam between the units.

@RichTsang wrote:

Option 2

I setup the RBR350 as router mode. In the WAN Setup. I points to the RBR50 Router. However, I got another subnet (RBR50 192.168.0.x and RBR350 192.168.1.x). devices connected in either subnet can access to internet. But my question is "How can these 2 subnets talk to each other?"

This is more complicated.  Devices on the 350 subnet know that any IP address not on the 350 subnet is "out there somewhere" and will packets will be directed to the 350 router for delivery.  The 350 router will notice that IPs on its WAN subnet are local and will not direct them to the primary router to be delivered to the internet.  In this direction, all is good.

The problem is that the 350 subnet is hidden from the primary network. Ordinarily, the primary router would say, "these IPs are not here, so they must be "out there" somewhere and try to deliver them to the internet.  I believe that the way to handle this is to create a static route in the primary router which says that this hidden subnet can be found by sending packets to the 350 router's WAN IP address. 

Option 2 has all the drawbacks of Option 1 (not one system) and creates this additional complication.  Option 2 seems not as good as Option 1.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7