Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

use ethernet port of the router at the same time as the orbi's one

alban1107
Aspirant

use ethernet port of the router at the same time as the orbi's one

Hello, 

I don't have enough ethernet ports on the orbi (only 1 excluded the one connected to the router) so I was wondering if it is possible to use the router's ethernet ports as the same time to have more of them.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: use ethernet port of the router at the same time as the orbi's one

In what mode do you have your Orbi configured?

1. If Orbi is in AP Mode then you can use the Ethernet ports of your ISP Router.
  2. If Orbi is in Router Mode, then you can't use the Ethernet ports on your ISP router, otherwise your devices will be located on two different networks and will not be possible to communicate between them. Also if Orbi is configured in Router Mode please make sure that the ISP Router is bridged, set to Passthrough mode or forwarded to DMZ.

Please note that you can always connect a simple switch to Orbi to provide you with more Ethernet ports.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

In what mode do you have your Orbi configured?

1. If Orbi is in AP Mode then you can use the Ethernet ports of your ISP Router.
  2. If Orbi is in Router Mode, then you can't use the Ethernet ports on your ISP router, otherwise your devices will be located on two different networks and will not be possible to communicate between them. Also if Orbi is configured in Router Mode please make sure that the ISP Router is bridged, set to Passthrough mode or forwarded to DMZ.

Please note that you can always connect a simple switch to Orbi to provide you with more Ethernet ports.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Agreed with @ekhalil statement. But you didn't really tell us much. Are you talking the orbi router versus the satellite or do you have another router in the mix?

If you're talking orbi router and orbi satellites and not another device mixed in, you can connect to any of the lan ports (modem for the wan port) and use them. You can even add in a switch if needed as @ekhalil pointed out. 

So basically if this doesn't help, we need more details on what all devices you're running. Model numbers are the best to include with details. 

Message 3 of 5
alban1107
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer, I am in router mode. But this was for a friend, and I just saw that he only needed 1 Ethernet port so it’s fine.
Message 4 of 5
alban1107
Aspirant

Sorry I was talking of using the modem’s Ethernet port, the satellite had nothing to do with it. I mistook the modem and the router. But I have my answer now so thank you.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7