Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

use orbilogin net to PC after reset

DarEX
Aspirant

use orbilogin net to PC after reset

Hi

I have a RBK 50 system ( RBN50 plus a satelitte)

Modem is a TGT 789 with the Orbi connected through an ethernet port. Wifi within the modem disabled

Been working fine for 2 plus years ( including a firmware upgrade  but no recent upgrades)

Today orbi app or orbi decided to play up. Phone told me i was connected to Orbi network but via Orbi ( no internet connection)

Anyway after faffing about in the app ( which still won't accept admin password after a reset) I am in a loop.

So trying to connect directly in admin portal to PC via orbilogin...... I have the wifi network working but now cant manage it.  So i connect direct via ethernet and get a orbilogin.net logon page,, but asks for user name and password.   I have fed it correct wifi and password settings and admin/password but authorization required keeps repeating.  On the orbi app i get run around in circles at the admin password prompt,,, which does send me to validate my serial number but then doesn't come up with correct id type questions.... so I cant use the app and i cant use the admin portal.  I am not sure if I need internet connection as well as ethernet connection when PC is linked to orbi via ethernet. ( ATM i disconnect PC from modem to connect to the orbi)

I have reset the system a number of times... i have not done it with the satelitte deleted yet ( both the orbi and its satelitte are working fine)

I know this is not the app community , but just for info, reinstalled app on both android and IOS , ( android version says last update was sept 2021.

Help to get out of this circular merrygo around appreciated. Darryl

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DarEX
Aspirant

Re: use orbilogin net to PC after reset

Thanks for the replies  crimp on  and Furrye38

You both are correct and very helpful in helping me diagnose the issue.

I did set a different user password two years ago, but aparently my reset to factory attempts did not clear this,,, ( maybe user error although i did follow that you tube.   ....  My concern re me following instructions was after using paper clip to get flashing amber i waited a long time for the unit to repower up, but in the end i turned the push button off and on ( so i may have not let it cycle out completely.)

I have modem wifi disabled and have tried bridged and AP mode - and I have wifi from orbi mesh network working fine -- but the orbi modem interface could be playing havoc with my trying to directly connect to orgilogin.net.

The situation is now resolved thank you. Issues included

admin password   change kept on being remembered....  I still haven't managed to find the password recovery steps to apply for next time. ( i will look again to insert this elelent )

Firmware upgrade added into the mix  ( and the satelitte not updating). 

Settings bewteen orbi and modem - problems getting to the orbi admin portal

problems with the orbi app (my uninstall of the android app and reinstall may have found discrepencies in the firmware

So a bit of human error, and a couple of probably unrelated but untimely hicoughs caused my grief.  Many thanks for your assistance

Cheers Darryl

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@DarEX wrote:

So trying to connect directly in admin portal to PC via orbilogin...... I have the wifi network working but now cant manage it.  So i connect direct via ethernet and get a orbilogin.net logon page,, but asks for user name and password.   I have fed it correct wifi and password settings and admin/password but authorization required keeps repeating. 

During the initial configuration 2 years ago, the web portal password was changed from "password" to something more private. Many times users do not realize that they are supposed to specifically select which of the password recovery prompts they want to use and provide the answers.  Not knowing the admin password means you need to perform a Factory Reset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

After the power LED on the back goes through the turn amber, begin to blink stages, use a PC that is wired directly to the router for the setup.

@FURRYe38 is correct that two routers can present issues in certain circumstances. Google "Double NAT" or see:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Thousands of customers are not bothered by Double NAT because they have no need to do the activities that it makes impossible. If they do need these capabilities, then removing Double NAT is the solution.

Message 3 of 5
DarEX
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies  crimp on  and Furrye38

You both are correct and very helpful in helping me diagnose the issue.

I did set a different user password two years ago, but aparently my reset to factory attempts did not clear this,,, ( maybe user error although i did follow that you tube.   ....  My concern re me following instructions was after using paper clip to get flashing amber i waited a long time for the unit to repower up, but in the end i turned the push button off and on ( so i may have not let it cycle out completely.)

I have modem wifi disabled and have tried bridged and AP mode - and I have wifi from orbi mesh network working fine -- but the orbi modem interface could be playing havoc with my trying to directly connect to orgilogin.net.

The situation is now resolved thank you. Issues included

admin password   change kept on being remembered....  I still haven't managed to find the password recovery steps to apply for next time. ( i will look again to insert this elelent )

Firmware upgrade added into the mix  ( and the satelitte not updating). 

Settings bewteen orbi and modem - problems getting to the orbi admin portal

problems with the orbi app (my uninstall of the android app and reinstall may have found discrepencies in the firmware

So a bit of human error, and a couple of probably unrelated but untimely hicoughs caused my grief.  Many thanks for your assistance

Cheers Darryl

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@DarEX wrote:

I still haven't managed to find the password recovery steps to apply for next time. ( i will look again to insert this elelent )

On the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, Administration Menu, select Set Password.

Enter the password, then enter the same password two more times.

Check the box Enable Password Reset, which will bring up the two security questions.

Use the 'down arrow' to specifically choose which one of each set of questions to use.

Fill in the answer. Be alert to Capital Letters.

Click "Apply" at the top.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7