Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

using 2.4 vs 5 Ghz..

macjohn
Guide

using 2.4 vs 5 Ghz..

Hello,

I have a few devices which operate only on the 2.4 Gz band...how do I ensure that these devices will only connect via 2.4 and not try to

connect via 5 ? None of them are showing up as connected to my wi-fi network because they seem to always try to connect to 5.0.

Thank you for any help.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: using 2.4 vs 5 Ghz..

If the devices only support 2.4Ghz and don't have any 5Ghz hardware support, then they will only see the 2.4Ghz radio. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Try setting WPA and TPIK first then try WPA2 and AES only. You can disable WPA temporarily to see if your devices will connect here.

You can try setting the power for the 5Ghz radio from 100% to say 25% temporarily if you think this might help. 

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

A device that has single band support (2.4 GHz) will never try to connect using 5 GHz band.
Message 3 of 6
macjohn
Guide

Hello, 

I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions; I will try them...

If my devices (Nest Protect CO/smoke alarms) are not connectiing to my wireless network and they are only able to via 2.4Gz band why won't they show up on my list of attached devices ? They can talk to each other, but just won't show up on my network. 

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

This can be caused by that your Nest Protect devices were previously connected to another router with the same SSID?
Please check this:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-and-Nest-Protect-issues/m-p/1159980/highlight/true#M857
Message 5 of 6
macjohn
Guide

Hi,

Thank you for the link...earlier this year I had done what is described several times and the products show up on my attached devices list for 

about 2 minutes, then are removed from the list back onto my un-attached list. It is frustrating, 

Thanks again, and I will attempt another re-set...I appreciate your input

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7