Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: what is VLAN/bridge and should I enable it?

what is VLAN/bridge and should I enable it?

I noticed at the bottom of the advanced page there is an option called VLAN/Bridge group. What does it do and should I enable it?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a need for this? 

Is your system working currently? 

Review the user manual for help and information regarding this...

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

If you open the "Help"on the VLAN/Bridge Group page by clicking on the white arrow (triangle?), it brings up a description.

Essentially, some internet service providers bundle IP television into their package and use a VLAN group to separate the TV data from the "internet" data.  Unless you have one of these services, there is no reason to define it.  As the Help screen points out, the information to configure VLAN comes from the service provider.

As an "aside", some sophisticated networking enthusiasts want to create Virtual Local Area Networks (VLAN) to separate internal traffic.  This is a common feature of industrial and business networks.  Most residentiall WiFi routers do not support VLANs, and this disappoints some customers.

Message 3 of 7

my internet seems to work fine but i thought if i enable it i might squeeze better performance from my ISP
Message 4 of 7

see post above
Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Appleuser2000 wrote:
my internet seems to work fine but i thought if i enable it i might squeeze better performance from my ISP

Do not think it will help, and may cause problems. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Usually any more processing can impact performances. You can try and see, if nothing seems to make anything better or a problem appears, disable it.

@Appleuser2000 wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7