Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: what is different between RBR20 and RBR40

jasonwong
Aspirant

what is different between RBR20 and RBR40

Hi,

I know RBR20 only 1WAN port and 1LAN port, RBR40 more LAN port, RBR20 size smaller, apart from that, what is different?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System, RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
DickDuke
Apprentice

I actually own both of these units. The main differences you’ve already noted, size and number of ports. I believe the RBR40 May have more flashable memory too.

My experience may be unique to my RBR40 unit, but it seems to have way more difficulty synching with my 3 Orbi satellites. So much so, that I’ve given up on it for now, and I’m using the RBR20 with a 5 port switch instead of the RBR40 with its built-in switch. The RBR20 is rock solid.

Message 2 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Apart from what you mentioned, and looking to the physical size of the boxes, the antennas' size in the RBR40 seem to be bigger than those in RBR20 and similar to those in RBR50 which means better coverage. I compared the RBR20 and RBR50 and I could clearly see the difference in radio coverage, so I guess the same will apply to RBR20-RBR40.

On the other hand, both RBR20 and RBR40 have the same throughput and backhaul capacity (AC2200)

Message 3 of 9
jasonwong
Aspirant

Thanks all,

I think RBR20 is good in terms of size and price, but I still concern the heat problem of RBR20 itself as the size smaller than RBR40.

I used to other brand homeplug, in summer it over heat and lead it unstable~Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 9
ekhalil
Master

I used the RBR20 and RBS20 for couple of weeks and I didn’t notice any heat issues with them.
Message 5 of 9
DickDuke
Apprentice

UPPDATE:

Tried my RBR40 out again today. All 3 satellites connected. All connections are good. Was able to eliminate one of my 4 port switches.

If everything remains stable over the next few days, I'll be a very happy camper!

My Setup:

Rogers Hitron 200/16 + RBR40 (from RBK33)+  RBW30 + RBS20 + RBS20 + 2x TPLink Powerline

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Great to see. Good luck!
Message 7 of 9
dmcgriff
Aspirant

Just to confirm, you are using an RBR40 router with the RBS20 satellite(s), correct? I want to change my RBR20 router for an RBR40 if it will work right with my existing satellite.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

That will work.

@dmcgriff wrote:

Just to confirm, you are using an RBR40 router with the RBS20 satellite(s), correct? I want to change my RBR20 router for an RBR40 if it will work right with my existing satellite.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7