Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: what is orbi's tcp session timeout value?

Shotround
Apprentice

this is going to be several posts to deal with the character limit.

AT&T uverse internet

device provided/leased by att: http://www.dslreports.com/hardware/Pace-5031NV-h4058

no other device options available. none that i can find. none they are offering to send me.

supposedly the uploaded firmware when i called back in january. there is a status page that shows initial and current firmware. it is the same.

Message 26 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

There was a recent post about two users having problems with PPPoE on Orbi. Not  quite the same issue however they could not get to spec ISP speeds. Possible there maybe an issue between your Orbi and use of PPPoE that NG needs to look in to. NG should ask you to capture debug logs so they can review and see what is happening. I would file a support ticket and see if NG can look at your debug logs. 

You might also ask for the Beta thats available too:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Message 27 of 33
Shotround
Apprentice

i got the itch for 5GHz and settled on linksys wrt1900ac v1. still had no AC capable devices. no internet connectivity problems. used mostly linksys firmware. but tried openwrt attitude adjustment and lede. ive settled on using openwrt as packaged by davidc502. used mostly openwrt with default settings, what a can of worms.

Message 28 of 33
Shotround
Apprentice

mid-2017 i got the itch again and built a desktop for gaming. orbi provided the connectivity solution i was looking for. desktop wired to satelite, then wireless to router. so i put the linksys wrt1900ac in the closet. with orbi, i got the advertised service of 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up. speedtest.net rated around 24Mbps down/2.2Mbps up as i recall.

orbi worked great until the firmware of late 2017. randomly, the internet would go out for about 5 minutes at a time. typically, it was several hours inbetween. in retrospect, it almost always went out when someone comes home or fired up youtube, etc. buffer bloat? it would still go out at least once during the day when the house was empty or even in the dead of night. i would get the message from nest saying it lost connectivity.

internet would always return after 5 minutes. changes of settings on the pace or orbi made no difference. i still get the speedtest.net rated speeds when it works. i thought i was on to something with the pace tcp session timeout, but it may be a red herring.

Message 29 of 33
Shotround
Apprentice

pace reconfigured to default. last reboot, feb 2, 2019. set dmz when orbi is router. no change to orbi settings except going from router to ap mode. no reboot/restart of orbi unless done by orbi as a matter of applying changes from router to ap. no master resets. no paper clips harmed.

advertised 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up. speedtest.net rated 24Mbps down/2.2Mbps up. family put up with this for a week. i dont know how i got out alive.
1. orbi as router. loss of internet way too much to be acceptable. say 2 to 3 hours inbetween. at least internet came back after 5 minutes. not approved by family. didnt have time to game with this setting.
2. orbi as ap. internet good. gaming lag bad. not lag spikes but continuous bad lag. not approved by me.

then i changed to advertised speed of 24Mbps down/5Mbps up. speedtest.net rated 29Mbps down/5Mbps up.
1. orbi as router. 4 or more hours between loss of internet. comes back after 5 minutes. gaming was good.
2. orbi as ap. internet good. gaming lag spikes.

Message 30 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Thats what I loaded on my 1900AC v1 when I had it. Only thing that made that thing work right. Linksys really never fixed all the bugs in that router and the v2. Shame too. Did like the look and feel of it. I off loaded it to a friend of mine who needed better wifi. Its now working as an AP in there living room. 

@Shotround wrote:

i got the itch for 5GHz and settled on linksys wrt1900ac v1. still had no AC capable devices. no internet connectivity problems. used mostly linksys firmware. but tried openwrt attitude adjustment and lede. ive settled on using openwrt as packaged by davidc502. used mostly openwrt with default settings, what a can of worms.

Message 31 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would see about the Beta FW, if that doesn't resolve things, I would ask about an RMA. 

@Shotround wrote:

pace reconfigured to default. last reboot, feb 2, 2019. set dmz when orbi is router. no change to orbi settings except going from router to ap mode. no reboot/restart of orbi unless done by orbi as a matter of applying changes from router to ap. no master resets. no paper clips harmed.

advertised 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up. speedtest.net rated 24Mbps down/2.2Mbps up. family put up with this for a week. i dont know how i got out alive.
1. orbi as router. loss of internet way too much to be acceptable. say 2 to 3 hours inbetween. at least internet came back after 5 minutes. not approved by family. didnt have time to game with this setting.
2. orbi as ap. internet good. gaming lag bad. not lag spikes but continuous bad lag. not approved by me.

then i changed to advertised speed of 24Mbps down/5Mbps up. speedtest.net rated 29Mbps down/5Mbps up.
1. orbi as router. 4 or more hours between loss of internet. comes back after 5 minutes. gaming was good.
2. orbi as ap. internet good. gaming lag spikes.

Message 32 of 33
Shotround
Apprentice

i dont have all the info but i suppose the problem with orbi and wrt1900ac is good hardware coupled with less than good software. i want to believe current openwrt for wrt1900ac is good now. its performing better than orbi as a router anyways. 

so, reenter the linksys wrt1900ac.  still at 24Mbps down/5Mbps up advertised. speedtest.net rated 29Mbps down/5Mbps up. latest openwrt firmware packaged by davidc502, mostly default settings, wifi off. maybe orbi restarted itself when changing from ap to router or vice versa for changes to take affect. no paperclips harmed.

1. wrt1900ac as router, orbi as ap.  no issues observed.  game lag even got down to 40ms at times. this is desktop wired to rbs, wireless to rbr, wired to wrt1900ac. typical is around 60ms.

2. wrt1900ac as router, orbi as router (not on dmz), router behind router. no issues observed. game lag around 70-80 ms, game still playable. need to move nas to wrt1900ac for upnp.

i just saw the beta software invitation. totally forgot that i placed that request. im debating whether to make the jump or just game this weekend.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7