Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: what is the latest firmware version V1.8.0.6 or 1.5.0.12

sigswi
Aspirant

what is the latest firmware version V1.8.0.6 or 1.5.0.12

hi

i just got 2 orbi sets today, i actually plan to install only 1 router and 2 satellites (but satellites were not available for sale on their own in switzerland)

I am confused about the firmware upgrade

Inside the router admin screen, the system indicated that the latest firmware version of the router is v 1.8.0.6. 

As the utility would not automatically detect the information for the satellite, i went manually to the netgear website and searched for the firmware files.

this page indicates that the latest firmware version available for both Router and satellite is 1.5.0.12

i am puzzled. i don't want to install 1.8 for the router only to find that the satellite latest version 1.5.0.12 is not compatible.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

can you help?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
sigswi
Aspirant

actually found the solution

the trick is to ignore the upload option on the interface, choose update directly and upload through the pop screen that appears afterwards.

seems to work 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 18

All Replies
djc6
Luminary

Looks like V1.8.0.6 is a brand new firmware - just checked my router and I see it being offered as a firmware update for router & both my satellites.

Current Version:V1.5.0.12
New Version:V1.8.0.6

Release Notes:
[New Features] Supports Korea wireless region.<br>[Bug Fix] Fixes bugs and security issues.

Message 2 of 18
sigswi
Aspirant

in my case it is offered for the router

the firmware check doesn't work for the satellite. it says "please wait" it has been in this status for 2 hours

I am wondering if i can download it manually for the satelllite and if somebody has a link.

On the netgear website i was not able to find it 

Message 3 of 18
MarkC1024
Luminary

Router and 2 satelittes updated fine via automated method.  Not much to offer with respect to related bug fixes within.

Message 4 of 18

Same issue for me. The main unit updated and the router is stuck on the "Please wait a moment" status. And of course the website has the previous firmware.

Netgear has serious QA issues.

Message 5 of 18
ahughs
Aspirant

Same thing happened to me. This is what I had to do:

Download the 1.5 update to my computer

choose 'manual update'

Check the box next to my satellite and click 'update'

browse to the extracted v1.6 img file, and 'update'

Update was successful, satellite was brought to v1.8 automagically.

Then, not sure if it was necessary but I pressed 'sync' button on both router and satellite while in same room until satellite turned blue.

Message 6 of 18
Pesto242
Star

I updated today...I knew I shouldn't considering everything was working fine..

I have updated my Orib system from the very start. I had very few issues, and always was able to update and keep my old configuration.

Not this time. Completely deleted my entire configuration and started from the "Welcome to Orbi" screen with a wired laptop. Reset everything, reconfigured everything (very difficult with all my port forwarding and static IP's).

Still having lots of weird issues on the network. I highly recommend from anyone doing an upgrade with 1.8.0.6 unless you are in Korea.

Message 7 of 18
wchp
Luminary

Before doing a firmware update, best practices is to make a backup of the current config.

Select "Administration" then "Backup Settings" 

Click on the backup button.

The backup file downloads almost instantly.

When it comes to firmware updates on any device: I hope for the best, but I plan and prepare for the worst.

Message 8 of 18
MrSpecialK
Aspirant

Sigswi,

Update the Host (Router) to the new version. Manually update the satellites to firmware version 1.5.0.12.  Then the host will push the new firmware to the satellites.  My satellites were delivered with firmware 1.2 something and would not update via the Host (router) until I updated their firmware manually to 1.4.0+.  Then, Success.

Hope it helps and regards,

Message 9 of 18

Thanks guys, manually updating satellite to previously available firmware updated it to latest. 

LOL though.

Message 10 of 18
Pesto242
Star

Couldn't agree more. I had one, but had major a complete subnet change that I forgot about. Also, I have had my orbi upgrade automatically without me doing it.
Message 11 of 18
Zoomzoom66
Guide

Both my router and satellite updated with no issues ot 1.8.0.6 with no issues after hitting update automatically...

Message 12 of 18
JMU1998
Luminary

Was able to update with no problem, check for Firmware said new version available and it downloaded and updated both main and satellite units with no issues.  however, yet to be seen what list of issues were fixed if any or just another useless update.

Message 13 of 18
Random12
Apprentice

Very odd version number bumpas well, it would indicate some substantial change IMHO. Or maybe the firware is composed of multiple pieces (i.e. imagine there is Netgear software, some Qualcomm driver/firmware part as well, etc and one of those parts got a bump?

It would be nice if the mods can share more info on what kinds of things are fixed.

Message 14 of 18
sigswi
Aspirant

an update on my part...

I was busy until tonight and did not try installing 1.5.0.12 as suggested. I was aiming to do it tonight and as soon as i had time, i  looked for the previously found 1.5 firmware version on the netgear website ( about an hour ago)  . However, surprise, netgear had updated the files and they are now making available v 1.8 for manual download for both router and satellite on their site.

So, i thought, great, i will just download both and do an update from 1.3 to 1.8 for both router and satellite

Unfortunately i didn't read the small print on the release notes that suggested to upgrade the satellites first.

I updated the router firmware, no issue. 

then tried to upload the satellite firmware to the web interface and it gives and error says "this is not the right file " (and yes it is the RBS file)..

any suggestions?

Message 15 of 18
sigswi
Aspirant

actually found the solution

the trick is to ignore the upload option on the interface, choose update directly and upload through the pop screen that appears afterwards.

seems to work 🙂

Message 16 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Random12

I do not have any more info than what was posted in the Firmware notes.

DarrenM

Message 17 of 18

I have updated to V1.8.0.0.6 Router and 3 Satellites and have no problems. (DAY 2) DAY 2 UPDATE V1.8.0.6

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7