Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

who help me with my ORBI RBR50 and RBS50 with firmware 2.0.1.4

Deech123
Aspirant

who help me with my ORBI RBR50 and RBS50 with firmware 2.0.1.4

Hi, 

I bought this ORBI system 2 weeks ago.(RBR50 and RBS50).

after installing these devices in AP mode, and after update, I encounter continious problems with Wifi.

Let me explain how this is setup : 

MODEM --> router netgear --> HP 48 port switch
--> wire from switch to RBR50, set to AP
--> wire from switch to RBS50

so as everybody describes, the wire on the RBR50 goes NOT in the yellow WAN port but in the first free network port at the back.

This causes that the RBR50 is always on with purple led. (when I put it in the yellow wan port, then the satellite is never found)

the RBS50 is 15 meter further away and is always changing from amber to blue.

if I do some test, internet is okey, when I do a test on the smartphone with the Orbi app, both RBR and RBS are found.

but now here it come's, the wifi is dropping every 5 min, this causes devices to be disconnected, and some can not be connected anymore unless I reboot the RBR50 or I reboot the device.

this is getting from worse to hell.

whatever we do or try, nothing seems to solve this and this is by far a hugh problem, since we use wifi here for commercial use.

Is there anybody who can give me some clue's how to solve this, since it's almost not workable.

also our doorbell and other smart stuff is on this wifi but they are constant kicked of the wifi.

when I do the test with a older wifi router, then all is okey, but ofcourse that's not the way it should be.

so I hope anybody can give me a clue how to fix it, or how to deal with it.

thx for any help.

Deech

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 35
bbunge
Star

Re: who help me with my ORBI RBR50 and RBS50 with firmware 2.0.1.4

Unless you are on firmware version 2.1.x.x do not try to use the wired backhaul. Firmware 2.0.1.4 is the current release but there is a 2.1.2.18 that you can manually upgrade to. If you do, upgrade the satellite first then the router. Factory reset both, press the reset for 10 seconds, then st up with the satelite close to the router via WIFI. If I get a chance I'll try the RBK50 as an access point wired and WIFI and report back.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 35
Deech123
Aspirant

Hi, 

I just upgraded both RBS and RBR. Will let you know the results over here.

thx for the tip.

Deech

Message 3 of 35
st_shaw
Master

@Deech123 wrote:

so as everybody describes, the wire on the RBR50 goes NOT in the yellow WAN port but in the first free network port at the back.

This causes that the RBR50 is always on with purple led. (when I put it in the yellow wan port, then the satellite is never found)

That's not right. You are supposed to connect your router to the Yellow Internet port on the RBR50. If you don't the magenta light will stay on.

That's how the Orbi documentation says to do it, and that's how my Orbi in AP mode is connected.

Message 4 of 35
Deech123
Aspirant

Well, I think you are wrong.

if you look a this link : https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

look at the last picture, there the RBR50 is connected to the switch and the RBS50 is connected to the switch.

as you see the RBR50 is NOT connected in the yellow port.

the moment I put the cable of the RBR50 in the yellow port, then the purple led is gone, but there is contact anymore between RBR and RBS.

Message 5 of 35
Deech123
Aspirant

okey, to think furthermore on your drawing, since I use it in AP mode, then these are only solutions?

MODEM --> Router< -->[HP 48 port switch] --> (Yellow RBR50 Grey) <-----> (Grey RBS50)

MODEM --> Router <-->(Yellow RBR50 Grey)<--->[HP 48 port switch]<-----> (Grey RBS50)

if you look at the link of netgear themself, there is a third option : 

MODEM --> ROUTER --> [HP 48 port switch]  -->(RBR50 Grey)

MODEM --> ROUTER --> [HP 48 port switch]  -->(RBS50 Grey)

it's impossible also over here that one cable comes from the router, first goes to RBR50, then from the RBR50 to the HP switch and then the RBS50 to the HP switch.

I think - for what you see on the link of netgear - that when connecting the ORBI to router and ethernet switch the correct methode is : 

MODEM --> ROUTER --> [HP 48 port switch]  -->(RBR50 Grey)

MODEM --> ROUTER --> [HP 48 port switch]  -->(RBS50 Grey)

is there somebody from Netgear itself who can confirm this, or can say what is the correct setup when using RBR50in AP mode with a 48 port Switch and router of ISP?

thx

Message 6 of 35
Deech123
Aspirant

HI to be honest,

I don't think there is any difference if you place the RBR50 before your switch or after.

since the switch does nothing, it only keeps the connection to your router alive.

a switch does not transfer special numbers or whatever, so for what I think the setup I did now is also a workable situation.

meantime I also updated manually the RBR and RBS to 2.1.2.18 version and internet drops are less than before.

ofcourse I knew the correct methode over here, then maybe just some access points were okey, since the complete house has fixed internet wires going to the switch... so maybe I bought not the best solution.

ofcourse the ORBI is well know that it's range is better than the rest...so who will tell 🙂

D.

Message 7 of 35
sh2sg
Apprentice

I think, Mesh subnet is created and managed by Main Orbi Router (RBR50), so if you are using Ethernet Backhaul, all Satellites (RBS50) have to directly or indirectly wire to RBR50.

In your setup, you put Switch before RBR50, RBR50 and all RBS50 connect to Switch, this means RBR50 and RBS50 are at the same level (to Router), the Ethernet Backhaul is not used even they are wired. 

The Orbi's document you referred to (https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...)

In this document,

first dirgram shows RBS50 directly wire to RBR50;

second dirgram shows RBS50 indirectly wire to RBR50 via multiple hops;

third dirgram may cause confusion, the Switch is actually after RBR50, it is same as first dirgram, just that RBS50 connect to RBR50 via Switch.

So it means Modem -> Router -> RBR50 -> Switch -> RBS50 #1, RBS50 #2...

Not Modem -> Router -> Switch -> RBR50, RBS50 #1, RBS50 #2...

Message 8 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the NG router behind the modem?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

What is the Mfr and model# of the 48 port switch? Is this a managed or non-managed switch? Managed switches will cause problems for Orbi systems.

I would do a factory reset since you upgrade FW and set up from scratch.

Also disable the following:

Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, and Fast Roaming.

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz, Any unused channel on 5Ghz

WPA2 and AES only.

@Deech123wrote:

Hi, 

I bought this ORBI system 2 weeks ago.(RBR50 and RBS50).

after installing these devices in AP mode, and after update, I encounter continious problems with Wifi.

Let me explain how this is setup : 

MODEM --> router netgear --> HP 48 port switch
--> wire from switch to RBR50, set to AP
--> wire from switch to RBS50

if I do some test, internet is okey, when I do a test on the smartphone with the Orbi app, both RBR and RBS are found.

but now here it come's, the wifi is dropping every 5 min, this causes devices to be disconnected, and some can not be connected anymore unless I reboot the RBR50 or I reboot the device.

this is getting from worse to hell.

whatever we do or try, nothing seems to solve this and this is by far a hugh problem, since we use wifi here for commercial use.

Is there anybody who can give me some clue's how to solve this, since it's almost not workable.

also our doorbell and other smart stuff is on this wifi but they are constant kicked of the wifi.

when I do the test with a older wifi router, then all is okey, but ofcourse that's not the way it should be.

so I hope anybody can give me a clue how to fix it, or how to deal with it.

thx for any help.

Deech

Message 9 of 35
Deech123
Aspirant

well to be honest, I think the way I did it is the way it is supposed to be.

I checked several forums and youtube movies, and official diagrams Netgear.

if you connect RBR to switch and RBS to switch and switch to router and router to modem, this is the setup they advice.

I did it like this now, and I have no issues if I surf over RBR or RBS.

the only thing is that IOS devices seems to have drops on that.

Message 10 of 35
correalej
Aspirant

I have been reading a few of these messages as I was getting drop out also for the last 3 weeks.  I wanted to make sure i am setup the correct way also for my Mesh network. I have the RBR50 Router and 3 Satellites.  I added 1 additional satellite about 3 weeks ago which just happens to coincide with my drop issues and the firmware updates.   O.o   Anyhow I have the RBR50 plugged into my Comcast cable modem/Router and I have 3 satellites fanned out going farther and farther from the RBR50, as in the RBR50 is not in the middle of the satellites. Is this correct as I saw above the post about also plugging a satellite into the router/modem.

Then also should I be plugging my 24 port into the orbi or what if I have that plugged into the original Comcast Router also?   Also what is APO mode vs. the other difference?

Thanks Jim

Message 11 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Disable it's router and wifi if possible. Fully Transparent Bridge the ISP modem if possible. This is preferred. If you can't, use it's DMZ for the IP address that it gives the Orbi router.

Connect the switch to the back of the Orbi router.

What is the Mfr and model# of the switch? Managed or Non-managed? Managed switches will cause problems with Orbi systems if not configured correctly.

AP mode is just ALL router features are disabled on the router and the system just runs in wireless AP mode.

@correalejwrote:

I have been reading a few of these messages as I was getting drop out also for the last 3 weeks.  I wanted to make sure i am setup the correct way also for my Mesh network. I have the RBR50 Router and 3 Satellites.  I added 1 additional satellite about 3 weeks ago which just happens to coincide with my drop issues and the firmware updates.   O.o   Anyhow I have the RBR50 plugged into my Comcast cable modem/Router and I have 3 satellites fanned out going farther and farther from the RBR50, as in the RBR50 is not in the middle of the satellites. Is this correct as I saw above the post about also plugging a satellite into the router/modem.

Then also should I be plugging my 24 port into the orbi or what if I have that plugged into the original Comcast Router also?   Also what is APO mode vs. the other difference?

Thanks Jim

Message 12 of 35
Deech123
Aspirant

i have this as setup and models : 

modem = TELENET Belgium

router = ASUS RT-AC88U

Switch = HPPE OfficeConnect Switch  1820 48G J9981A

then 48 cables go thru the complete house

RBR50 and RBS50 are each connected to a separatly cable comming from one of th 48 ports.

RBR is set in pure AP mode.

after my update to 2.1.xx I have less drops, but it occurs sometimes, but not every 10 min anymore.

also what I did is that in my Asus I have IP settings where I can set all know devices to have always the same IP, and this I think is also a good idea to do, then no more issues with that too.

hope I could help and hope the next update will solve the purple light on RBR and the rest of the issues.

D.

Message 13 of 35
Deech123
Aspirant

I know AP was better, but I had ordered it wrong, so was my fault.

also I have seen a lot of tests and it seems that the ORBI as AP has almost the best long range wifi signal than normal AP's.

if the orbi can be sold to somebody I know, I will for sure look for a good long range AP.

Message 14 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the distances between the router and Satellite. Too far or too close could cause problems. Mine is about 40 ft in between.

How big is your home? Sq Ft

Try disabling any of the following to see if any helps:

Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, or Fast Roaming.

IPv6.

Ensure the ASUS routers wifi is disabled as well.

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz, any unused channel on 5Ghz.

WPA2 and AES only

Your switch is a managed switch. Be careful with these as these can also cause problems with Orbi systems if not configured right:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/networking/networking-switches/pip.specifications.hpe-offi...

@Deech123wrote:

i have this as setup and models : 

modem = TELENET Belgium

router = ASUS RT-AC88U

Switch = HPPE OfficeConnect Switch  1820 48G J9981A

then 48 cables go thru the complete house

RBR50 and RBS50 are each connected to a separatly cable comming from one of th 48 ports.

RBR is set in pure AP mode.

after my update to 2.1.xx I have less drops, but it occurs sometimes, but not every 10 min anymore.

also what I did is that in my Asus I have IP settings where I can set all know devices to have always the same IP, and this I think is also a good idea to do, then no more issues with that too.

hope I could help and hope the next update will solve the purple light on RBR and the rest of the issues.

D.

Message 15 of 35
correalej
Aspirant

Doh wish i would have know about UniFi access points.   Too late I have the Orbi Router and 3 satelites and cannot return as 3 of the pieces i have had for ~7 months.   I do have ethernet to "Most of the house" (upstairs - office/ gaming)  Family Room and Master, but not front 1/2 of house)  Anyhow here is the info:  Xfinity Cable Modem/Router = "Technicolor" Model :DPC3941T,  Switch = Netgear ProSafe 16 Port Model JG5516 v2.   I have the Wifi off on the Providers modem.   Everything was great but lately i stall or disconnect  but when it is going my wifi can top out at 275 in some rooms but usually 180's

Message 16 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

IS the ISP modem fully bridged or still in router mode? If router mode, Try using the DMZ opton ON the modem for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem. 

What channels are you using on the ORbi router? 

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

@correalejwrote:

Doh wish i would have know about UniFi access points.   Too late I have the Orbi Router and 3 satelites and cannot return as 3 of the pieces i have had for ~7 months.   I do have ethernet to "Most of the house" (upstairs - office/ gaming)  Family Room and Master, but not front 1/2 of house)  Anyhow here is the info:  Xfinity Cable Modem/Router = "Technicolor" Model :DPC3941T,  Switch = Netgear ProSafe 16 Port Model JG5516 v2.   I have the Wifi off on the Providers modem.   Everything was great but lately i stall or disconnect  but when it is going my wifi can top out at 275 in some rooms but usually 180's

Message 17 of 35
correalej
Aspirant

The DMZ 10.0.0.133 is being used for my Security cameras setup by the company that installed the DVR and Cable Cameras.    I do not know where to look on Providers "Xfinity Router" to see if "Fully Bridged" or on OrbiLogin to see channels?

Message 18 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact your ISP to have them help you check the status of th modem and where you can use DMZ on the modem for the Orbi router. If the modem can't be bridged fully or use it's DMZ, then you might change the Orbi router to AP mode instead of router mode. 

Review the user manual to see where to access Orbi web page features and configurations. 

@correalejwrote:

The DMZ 10.0.0.133 is being used for my Security cameras setup by the company that installed the DVR and Cable Cameras.    I do not know where to look on Providers "Xfinity Router" to see if "Fully Bridged" or on OrbiLogin to see channels?

Message 19 of 35
correalej
Aspirant

Oh i did turn to AP mode after reading all this the other day..  Now for 2 days in AP mode and Wifi on router turned off.

Message 20 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

So the Orbi is back running in router mode? 

Message 21 of 35
correalej
Aspirant

My Bad Orbi is set to AP mode.

Message 22 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. 

If in AP mode then this should work in this configuration if the modems bridged fully. Again, something you should check with your ISP to make sure. Also have them disable any onboard wifi as well on the modem. 

YOu can see channels the Orbi router is using on it's web page when you login at 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. You can make changes here as well. 

If you have the RBR50 or RBK50 model, you can try the new beta FW as well. 

Message 23 of 35
correalej
Aspirant

The App says

2.4 GHZ = Auto (10)

5 Ghz = 36+40+44+48 (P)

Message 24 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

You migt change 2.4Ghz to manual channel 11. 

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7